New to the forum...New to RVing..

MUDENG

I have been working in the oilfield for nearly 12 years and I have residing in these things for years, but never owned one. I started off purchasing a used 84 model Prowler (28') bumper pull and through the process of getting this thing to the house, I have really gotten excited about using this mint conditioned old RV to get my wife interested in the process. Any helpful towing tips or upkeep tips are appreciated.

Thanks

C Nash

Welcome to the wonderful world of rving Mudeng :approve: . Be sure you have the proper tow vehicle and tow equipment to tow the Prowler. Use a load leveling hitch and sway bar. Check the tires for age and replace if they are 5 to 7 yr old regardless of tread. Weight the Prowler fully loaded. Easy to overload and cause major problems. Keep close watch for water leaks. A water leak can destroy them very quick. Need to reseal often. probably need to remove wheels and greese bearings. be sure trailer brakes are working. Hook rv up and stay in back yard for a couple nights and ck all electrical, heating, plumbing.

hertig

Yes correct hitch is absolutely key when towing a 'bumper pull'. An alternative to the standard hitch is one by 'PullRite' which claims to make a travel trailer ride like a fifth wheel, and be easier to hook up to boot.

MUDENG

I have managed the sway and two bars along with the hitch. I am pulling with a 2005 Ford 4 dr. 4X4 with a 5.4 L V8. I have replaced all four tires and probably taking it to the shop to repack the bearing before I take it 440 miles to my hunting lease south of Sweetwater, TX. I am still a little unsure about the septic (upkeep and discharging), and the use of the water tanks (no instructions with this rascal).

C Nash

Run some water in the black tank before using. Add recommended chemical. Do not leave dump valve open if connected to sewage. let the tank get nearly full before dump. Empty the black water tank first and then the gray to rense out the pipes. Get a wand to flush the tank or a old water hose to put into the comode to flush out all residue.
You should santize the fresh water tank and lines before using. You can do this by mixing hosehold clorox. Can't remember the ratio but someone here will let you know.

s.harrington

To rinse your tank and water lines, use one to two cups of bleach in the tank. Pemp through all lines. Let sit for 3 hours flush and drain tank 3 times. Run fresh water through lines for about 15 minutes or until clorine smell and taste is gone.

MUDENG

Thanks for this information. Really cuts down on me going to Camp World and getting four different opinions. However, let's say I go to the camp without septic for a couple of days and return home with the RV. Is there some place in particular that I can stop and drain my septic?? Or do you have to wait and go to a KOA or something to that extent, pay to stay a night, just to drain my black water.
:question:

team3360

WELCOME to the world of RVING.---------If you check the truck stops near your home and along your travels , most TRUCK STOPS have a dump station at the RV fuel pumps that is FREE to use(about 99% of FLYING J TRUCK STOPS ),also you might be able to use the dump station at your local sewer plant. DONT let black water sit in the tank extended periods, (Parked at home untill next trip) the solids will seperate from the liquid and possibly cause a plug in the system. ALWAYS drain the tanks when your trip is over. the gray water will also state to smell even if you have chemicals in it. also drift back to some of the older forum topics there was a list of free dump stations at rest areas in different states. DO a search on the web for PILOT TRUCK STOPS, FLYING J TRAVEL CENTERS, TRUCK STOPS OF AMERICA, FOR LOCAIONS hope this helps, LEE

MUDENG

Thanks folks, I appreciate it. I am finally getting of this rig today, heading to Corpus Christi to get my hitch equipment and picking the RV up Thursday morning. Got to get her 4 new tires (1 day permit) and get it home to change title. I got everything I need tow wise, except I am afraid to hook up the trailer brakes. Don't know the last time they have been used (been at least over a year) and I don't want those rust magnets locking up on me before I even get down the road to start my 250 mi trip home. Just going to have to play it safe and then try them out at the house. Watch them work just fine!!! Murphy's law..
:disapprove: