New to your forum

DRD

Only found your forum yesterday. Nice to have lots of knowledgeable people to talk with and hope to get lots of good info from you. I'm a novice at this. My first time to get involved in a forum. I have had four trailers and two 5'ers. My wife & I are now interested in a diesel pusher. By the way I see several DH refered to. What does DH stand for. We are looking at a 2000 Coachmen Santara 37' with frtlnr chassis 275 HP cummims 6 spd allison with 29,000 miles. Any pros and cons about the coach or the 275 cummins or frtlnr. Am I looking at 6 to 8 mpg or maybe 10 with this size rig. Any serious problems with the 2000 model that anyone is aware of. Thanks very much. I'm very glad to be a part of your forum and hope to hear from some of you.

C Nash

Re: New to your forum

Don, welcome to the forum :approve: . The DH generally stands for darling husband but, in some cases might mean D@@N husband :laugh: Never had a diesel but, the 275HP might be underpower for a 37 ft MH. Most give them good reports that own the 275. The 6 spped Allison should be a + and 29K should not even be broke in IF it has been cared for and serviced.

DRD

Thanks for such a quick reply. We were looking a 35' cruise master with a V10. I though it was way under powered. I guess I need to drive the 275 hp in some hills to see how it does. If we buy the Coachmen it will sure be DW. Thanks again

G

I have a neighbor and one of my customers ,, who has a coachman 32fter witht eh same engine ,, and he hates it it does not pull hills very well and if he;s pulling a toad it's even worse ,,, but as soon as he save up some money were gonna modify the cummins for him,, most of the B model cummins came out of the factory only set at 15 to 25 % of the total power ,, but they have upgrade kits out now that will take care of that ,, but u do loose some MPG ,, not so much to really worry about ,, but IMO the power increase is worth the small loss of MPG ,, also the upgrades knida make them blow black smoke when their making horse power ,,, i know mine does ,, when i start pulling a long hill and the powerband come in ,,,, don't be behind me cause u will tink that there is an old coal fired steam engine in front of u ... But as DL says cummins smoke smell better ,,,, and welcome to the forum ;) :cool: :bleh: :)

C Nash

Don, What year was the V10. After 1999 the new V10 were pretty good and the newer models even better. If one of the latter and you felt them underpowered I would suggest driving but I would drive regardless to see if I was going to be satisfied. Have you ever owned a MH? You are moving quite a bit of weight.