Newbie seeking Experienced RVing assistance

Grazing Goat66

Hello all,
Am completely new to the world of RVing and would like as much or as little advice that you good folk could provide. Will be based out of the Vegas area and will be looking to do 1-2 week trips 2-3 times a year mainly to the National Parks around the States. We comprise the Boss, the 3-4 year old daughter, a 2 year old and myself. Am completely open minded about the most efficient way to travel around.
Should I buy a travel trailer with a decent size towing vehicle?? Should I buy a C-Class?? Should I buy an A-Class bearing in mind the fact that the majority of trips will only be that 1-2 week time frame?? Is a 30+ footer going to be a pain in the backside heading up through the mountains ie Is it going to be too large to take certain roads?? What are the relative comparisons re petrol consumption between the different classes??
As I am not looking to do this full time I would only buy second hand with the possibility (high likelihood) of upgrading in the future. If I was going to do it for a year or 2 then I would probably have a different mindset.

Any assistance that you could provide is greatly appreciated.....trust me!!

DL Rupper

Re: Newbie seeking Experienced RVing assistance

Hey Grazing Goat66, welcome to the forum. Which type of RV is purely a subjective biased opinion of most of the RV'ers. All of us whether we have trailers, motor-homes etc. will be biased about why you should buy our type of RV. After due diligence and lots of research you can make an informed biased choice of your own on what suits you and your particular lifestyle best.

A 30 foot RV isn't too long if you have the power to climb the hills and don't want to take it too far off the beaten path. I tow a 30 foot, 13,000 lb, 5th wheel through the mountains out West with my Dodge Cummins Diesel 3/4 ton pickup with no problem. However, if I had a V-8 or V-10 gas engine I would probably go a lot slower up the mountains. The same analogy goes for a Diesel vs a Gas engine motorhome.

The diesel in either a diesel tow vehicle or motor home will get better millage than a gas engine, however if you aren't going to be traveling thousands of mile a year, you won't ever recoup in mileage the extra $$ that a diesel costs. For occasional camping a gas engine makes the most sense, if you don't care how long it takes to get up the hills. The diesel engine is more of a macho power thing if you don't travel/RV fulltime or go long distances. :)

LEN

Welcome
A lot has to do with budget and the car, suv or truck you have now. If you have a towable then a motor home might be the answer either class A or C. Class A would have lots of xtras for the boss and the room, class C would have a little less open space but most all the xtras of the class A. Then a 5ver or 5th wheel(large tow rig needed here) good open space rigs with all the xtras, but a bit harder to setup. All but same with the tow trailer. I choose a MH because for me the ease of use and the ability to tow or trailer a SUV and being out months at a time. The best advice I can give is do what you are doing now and gain information. Visit lots of RV lots and look for floor plans that your family likes. Then maybe visit campgrounds and view people setting up. Won't be a lot of setup difference between 5vr and TT and in my mind the MH is easier to setup. And then to budget MH with tow if you must purchase a new tow will be more money, if you have a tow maybe cheaper. A 5vr or TT and a tow rig will be near a toss up. If you have a tow rig or feel you need a pickup to use around the home then the 5vr or TT might be cheaper. Just a lot of options each must address for them self.

LEN

Grazing Goat66

Thanks to you both for your words of wisdom, and for your welcome. Have been trawling the site for a month or two reading as many back threads as I can and trying to glean as much info as possible. So your posts are most welcome.
Am planning to downsize the home and free up a few dollars. Have always wanted to do the RV path so now is the perfect opportunity to dip my foot in! I'm sure that I will be seeking your assistance again!!

Oh and please feel free to add some more pearls of wisdom. You can never have too much information.

GG66

elkhartjim

I'll add my 2 cents. We're on a 6 weeks trip from Texas to Yellowstone with stops in both directions. We have a 38 ft Diesel Pusher Motor home pulling a Toyota. In 1876 miles so far I'm averaging 9.2 on the Motorhome. We've logged 810 miles on the toad running around sight seeing at 27.3 miles per gallon. My point, if you're pulling a tt or 5'er with a diesel truck you can probably expect 10-13mpg and when unhooked you can expect maybe 18-20 mpg. I'm sure DL will set me straight on the actual MPG.

I'm sure glad they still make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. As DL said, do you due diligence and don't get in a hurry...you'll end up making a good decision for you.

jack g

Grazing Goat, I just got back from a trip to Mn approx 3600 miles and averaged 7.5 mpg with a gas engine pulling a jeep wrangler. Could only pull the big hills at 51 mph. Fine for me. beside the great ideas provided above. You might try going to a RV park. Find something you might like to have, and get out of your car and talk eyeball to eyeball with the owners. Ask the questions you have about their home and you wife should also ask the questions she has. Put all information together and go buy what you both will feel comfortable with. Happy Rving.

Grazing Goat66

Thanks to you for your continued invaluable input. I quite like the suggestion of talking face to face with RVers at a park. Hadn't thought of that!!
Thanks again.

jenrusRV

jack g - 6/23/2009 10:07 AM

Grazing Goat, I just got back from a trip to Mn approx 3600 miles and averaged 7.5 mpg with a gas engine pulling a jeep wrangler. Could only pull the big hills at 51 mph. Fine for me. beside the great ideas provided above. You might try going to a RV park. Find something you might like to have, and get out of your car and talk eyeball to eyeball with the owners. Ask the questions you have about their home and you wife should also ask the questions she has. Put all information together and go buy what you both will feel comfortable with. Happy Rving.

Talking to RV owners is a very good suggestion. Also make sure to get your hands on as many "First time RV Buyers" web pages as possible before you buy. One of the most important considerations I think in your case is going to be that you have as much size to your RV as your money can buy. With two kids and all of the toys that can come with them (believe me I know), your trips (no matter how short they may or may not be) will be more enjoyable if you are not running into each other every time you turn around. If you haven't already chosen a place to buy an RV, here is a good place that I have found to start to find reputable Used RV dealers. Good luck in finding your perfect RV!

Grazing Goat66

Thanks Jenny. Have already tabbed that website. Lot of choice out there. I've got a funny feeling that I'm going to do a lot of miles travelling around before I lay my cash down. Looking at spending up to 15/20K for a secondhand RV so hopefully I can find a decent "bus" for that sort of money.

TerriC

Hi
I'm also trying to educate myself and figure out what would be the best for us. One thing we did was rent an Rv several times last year. Possibly rent several different models to see what would be a good fit for you?? I will make one suggestion we have a 40' race trailer and we're pulling it with a Chevy 250 taking that thru TN, KY in just those little hills there are times going up with semis passing you in the mountains you wish you had more power. Personally I'm not sure if I'd do that out west in the Rockies unless I had a Diesel? Since we've rented the rv's it's helped us to decide on a few things when we do get ready to buy. Good Luck, Have Fun and Be Safe!!!! :)

DL Rupper

Love the The word diesel. Brings a warm feeling to my heart. Keep on truckin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Think DL is about to get cranked up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: