Newbie with Reese slide 5th wheel hitch has Question

Mr Bill

I just picked up my new 5th wheel today and the hitch in the truck I bought is a Reese with a slide system. When I got it home I used the slide feature to slide the hitch back so that I could make a tight turn. When I moved the lever to the maneuver setting and pulled the truck ahead it slid the hitch back ok but when I backed up it slid forward again. I tried it again pulling the 5th wheel a few feet to put weight on the hitch and it still didn't catch in fact it slid forward when I stopped. Am I doing something wrong or is the hitch defective....should I have moved the lever to the tow position after the hitch slid????

DL Rupper

Re: Newbie with Reese slide 5th wheel hitch has Question

Hey Mr Bill, Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what the hitch is supposed to do other than keep the truck and trailer at maximum distance from each other during tight turns. The whole purpose is to keep your 5th wheel and truck cab from touching. Does it do that? If so it's working OK.

Grandview Trailer Sa

When the lever is in the GREEN area on either side of the label, it should lock in. Have your dealer look at it. If you are putting it in the RED area, it will not lock.

Mr Bill

RE: Newbie with Reese slide 5th wheel hitch has Question

Thanks for the response!! Yes being a newbie I put the lever in the green area!! I have a lot to learn.....Thanks again

Mr Bill

Whoops ment the red area in reply above....I guess I should learn to read also!!

H2H1

Mr Bill glad that u got it worked out. Ken would not steer you wrong, he is very knowledgeable and is a straight shooter.Now DL is no slack either. If you to know where to go and camp he can tell you the best places, as you can see he has been around the states several time. Good luck and happy camping

*scooter*

Welcome to the forum Bill. In your first question, you have managed to get a response from some of the best/friendliest/knowledgeable people on this forum.
And 730 your included... :laugh: :laugh:

G

I/m still trying to find my way around FL ,, and also to the hiway ,, scooter is no help ,,, all he sees is hamburger joints ,,, BTW ,, Thanks Ken :laugh: :laugh:
:approve: :approve: :approve:

Mr Bill

Thanks again everyone!! This is a very friendly site...it is good to know that people still care about other people!!

G

well it's good that we have people on here that like to ask and ones that can help out ,,, that's what we are here , for ,, and Mr bill ,, i hope u stick around on here with us ,, u'll learn alot ,,, and laugh harder than u ever have ,, these guy's are nut's ,,, but stick around ,,, we are about to get in to the rving season,,, :eek: :eek: :eek: ,, and that's when we really shine ,,, one problem after another ;) ;) ,, but welcome ,,, and sit a spell with us :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh: :) :)