Newmar rv for full timing

bpe

Would anyone recommend a Torey Pine or Country Aire for full timing? Looking at used. Wife and I plan to be in unit for around 10 years. I'm a construction welder and chase shutdowns. Looked at Teton and Travel Spreme and would have to go 7 or 8 years old to justify price. Wonder how Newmar stacks up.

DL Rupper

Re: Newmar rv for full timing

Newmar's don't seem to have many complaints. I'd look at Carraige or HitchHiker and SunnyBrook also. My HitchHiker II is going on 15 years old and still holding together.

bpe

Thanks, DL. I looked at a HitchHiker and was impressed by the quality of it but it had a strong mildew odor. Hadn't seen a SunnyBrook. Didn't know about them.

bpe

I also checked out Excel. On their website the r rating is actually lower than a Newmar. Excel rating is r7 in the walls and r14 in roof and floors. Newmar's is r11 in walls, r26 in floors and r22 in roof, yet Excel brags about being able to withstand -10 with dual pane windows. It is built with wood studs instead of aluminum. The Excel appears to be better built but with less standard insulation. I will be going in rather cold climates. Stay away as much as possible but if that's where the money is, I'm going. This seems a contradiction for a high end rv.

Kirk

I think that you will find that Newmar has about as good a reputation as any of the manufacturers. They are a family owned company and seem to be one of the strongest still in the business.

KateyJ

RE: Newmar rv for full timing

I'm considering a Newmar 5er also. I know it has aluminum studding in the walls -- how does that not create a problem with condensation and resulting delaminating of the fiberglass, that I've read about on other threads? When does having aluminum in the walls or roof cause that problem, when doesn't it? thanks.

Also -- should I be able to pull and safely stop a loaded Newmar Cypress with a one ton dually diesel? I'm looking at the Silverdo 3500 dually diesel, with a gross vehicle rating of 15,900 lb. The Cypress is about 12, 200 and there will be three of us travelling.

RVDigitalBoy

From reading through the responses to this thread it appears that you are looking at 5th wheel trailers. My wife and I have been fulltimers since April of 2006. We live and travel in our 1998 Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher. We have owned this coach since 2003. Before that time I had no clue about Newmar quality.

I want to suggest that Newmar 5th wheels are probably better insulated then most 5th wheels. In my coach outside noise is minimal and in cold weather my heat strips (not heat pumps) keep the coach reasonably warm (around 71 degrees) even when the outside temps drop to around 40.

The cabinetry is well made and still looks an operates great. So does the one kitchen/sofa slide.

I have camped with Newmar 5th wheel owners and spent lots of time in their rigs. They are quiet, toasty in winter and cool in summer.

I think you would be well served by finding a used Mountain Air 5th wheel.

bpe

update: We purchased a 06 Mobile Suite 32TK3. Has dual heat pumps, central vacuum, etc. Very cozy and not too heavy to pull with my 05 GMC 3500 diesel dually. At the time of purchase there was no Newmars on lot that we liked the floor plans. Thanks everyone and God bless.