nitrogen in tires

tjvpga

I have been reading about using nitrogen rather then air in tires. From a RV perspective, ie., long down time, dry rot, etc. It seems logical. I know that porper pressure testing is still required, but what do you all think?

C Nash

Re: nitrogen in tires

I don't know tjvpga, first thinking is it's just another gimmic to get some more of our rving monies. Seems as though most of the dry rot comes from the outside of the tire but can see where no moisture inside might help prolong the inside. Still got an open mind listening though.

G

RE: nitrogen in tires

well i can tell u this ,, i owned an auto truck repair shop before i sold it ,, we had the nitro ,, but IMO it's not worth it i know it's only 2 bucks to 5 bucks to have it put in ,, but if u fulltime and are on the road everyday ,, then yes have it put in ,, but for those that set months outta the yr ,, nope ,, cause even nitro has to be cked ,, and if u'r tires are low ,, u can either add air or drive it to the local tire shop and have them topped off with nitro ,, but i used it in my own MH and did not see any difference ,, and i actually gained pressure while on the road ,, nitro is not spose to do that ,, but in my case it did ,, and also we got a flier thingy from Michelin ,, stating that nitro is good ,, in a controlled enviroment ,, such as nascar and indy ,, where the tires are changed offen and they are at a constant temp ,, but Mich.. did not say NOT to use it ,, but left it up to the customer ,, now this is only my own experience ,, but for me no way most can use that extra 20 or 30 bucks for fuel ,, but again JMO :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

TexasClodhopper

tjvpga, have you done any research to determine what specifically nitrogen is supposed to do that regular old air doesn't do? You said, "ie., long down time, dry rot, etc.", but that isn't very specific. Perhaps a little more detail will get you more results here.

I know that when my son built his 'lowrider' truck with air bags in the suspension, we had a nitrogen bottle in there to pump those bags fast. The reason was to take advantage of the high pressure in the bottle, though.

Since we had a pack of nitrogen bottles available, we did use them for tire inflation, but man that stuff is expensive. We never saw any advantage, and if you ran over a nail your tire still would go flat.

elkhartjim

Do any of you remember when American Petrofina used the advertising gimmick of visit our stations and get "pink air"? Probably back in the 60's.

tjvpga

I was told that nitrogen is heavier then air so it keeps your tires inflated at the proper pressure longer. In doing so, your gas mileage would / could improve. I was also told that nitrogen doesn't have any moisture in it, so less tire rotting from the inside out. They told me $30 to do all my tires. Not alot of money, but from all I've read, there is not alot of proof there's a benefit.

campers4u

we have used it in racing, it keeps the tire from expanding , air has moisture when it gets hot it makes the tire expand.
but you have to mount the tire with nitrogen other wise your putting mosture in the tire and not accomplishing anything

the way i look at it if it was a gain the over the road trucks would all use it

DL Rupper

Costco puts it in free when you buy tires. It's supposed to maintain your pressure better. I can't see much difference.

G

I'm with u DL ,, when i got my nitro machine ,, everybody in the shop had to have it in thier tires ,, but they as u didn't notice a diff ,, and like i daid in the earlyer post,,, my tires on the MH gained psi ,,, i kinda thought it to be a big scam ,, and it was ,, not worth the 2to 5 bucks per tire they charge u ,,, but i gotta say this ,, it keeps the air tools clean and dry ,,, i have that machine at my house now ,, and all i use it for is air tools and such ,, it has a 60 gallon tank..
Tex why was it so much for bottles og nitrogen ,, it don't cost anything to make it ,, well electric ,, and that's it ;) :approve: :approve: :approve:

hamdave

RE: nitrogen in tires

First, We used nitrogen as instrument gas when we wanted to make sure we didn't have any moisture content in pressure measuring devices(special case), Nitrogen makes up about 78+% of the air we all breathe as well as whats already in your tires. Save your money. JMHO

C Nash

Wow, is that the only reason they can fly :laugh: Welcome to the forum dal777 :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

I had a Sunset Creek from SunnyBrook delivered this week with silver caps on the valve stems. With closer look they had "Nitro Filled" on them. I need to ask them their thoughts on it.

larryccf1

the reason for nitrogen use or recommendation or advantage is that it has large molecules and will not leak like air will - that's what we were told
my buddy has a nitrogen tank / compressor at his shop to fill folks tires (cost was approx $5K) and i tried it on one of our cars, and it seems to work
- worth the effort? - personally, i think it's a little overkill and not really necessary

tjvpga

the fact that it leaks less/slower the air filled tires made me think it would be good for my Rv use. At this point, we go out once a month. But, like you just said,...worth the effort? Air is still free. I can't find any facts on reducing rot from the inside, either.