No AC from generator?

NilsA

Hi ya'll. I just got my first MH (95 Pace Arrow) and have my first 'newbie' question - why would my nicely-running generator not put out any AC into the coach? My transfer switch is supposed to do this automatically. It's been plugged into a wall socket for about 2 weeks, and I have been playing with the breakers some (but I put everything back to normal config, I think). I tried it both ways (starting the genset while plugged in, and then restarting it after unplugging) - no AC either way. I heard the transfer switch (I assume) clunk when I finally gave up, turned the gen off and plugged it back into the wall-socket....

All this stuff worked fine a few weeks ago bringing it home from Phoenix.... Can something electrical get 'stuck' after sitting a few weeks without using the genset? Thanks!!

Nils (the clueless one)

C Nash

Re: No AC from generator?

There should be a couple breakers on the generator that may have tripped. What type and size gen do you have? welcome to the forum

NilsA

Thanks for the assistance, folks. The gen is an Onan 7KW, and I did check the two AC breakers - both a ON as they should be.
Stuck relays, huh? (in the transfer switch, I guess) Is there a way to check that and hopefully correct it, other than purchasing a new Trans Sw? ---- Nils

C Nash

try just a light tap on the transfer switch to see if it will switch. Ants also like to get into the relays for some reason if it's where they can. Hope the gen is genning.

NilsA

Yes, Chelse, giving the case a 'light' tap was tried yesterday (actually it was more than light). No change. But now I have new info: I opened the case & examined the transfer switch...saw a blackish area on the small circuit board inside and the top of a small capacitor laying on the bottom near by. Obviously (I think) some sort of fairly hi-energy electrical failure has occurred, probably destroying the ability of the switch to know when to operate. Don't know what in the world I could have done to cause this to happen (I'd love to know so I don't do it again!) Any ideas if that circuit board could be located & replaced? (to save replacing the whole switch) - it's an Esco ES-50 switch, rated for 50 amps. It's not going to be easy to physically remove the switch from where it's at, but then I hear that's part of RV life.... ;~)

Nils

G

well Nils ,, i hate to say this ,, but from the way u put it ,, the board is blown ,, but one more thing ,, do u here the transfer switch slam ,, when on genset or shore line ,, if not then ,, the board is bad ,,, as for what caused it :question: :question: ,, hard to say ,, could have been power surge at one time or another ,, or even a bad neutral wire making contact now and agian ,,, but i would look on line for u'r model ,, and i am sure they can get just the board ,,, i have not replaced many boards in the transfer switches ,, usally when i see them ,, the whole thing is gone ,, but good luck and keep us posted :approve: :) :) ;)

Xrider

A transfer switch can be repaired. There is a time delay circuit built in to allow the genset to stabilize befor applying the load. The switch itself is simply a solenoid powered relay. It is the time delay circuit that tells the relay when to engage. Remove the board and look for the part number printed on it, then look up the manufacturer on the web and call them for a replacement. I had this happen at a park where the power was bad, and had to zip tie the relay closed to get any power from the genset on the way home. Good luck.

Jesse