No power

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by Kaykat50, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Everything was working in 2001 Coachman Santara when I was cleaning it. Had refrigerator going and now all of a sudden have no overhead lights, stove hood, and refrigerator isn't working. If we go to battery everything works but the refrigerator. Can not find the problem. Also no lights will come on for refrigerator and can't convert it to gas. Need help

2. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Have you checked your GFI?

3. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Yes, GFI is on a separate breaker, also microwave works.

4. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Maybe you hit a switch somewhere and cut it off while cleaning. Don't understand overhead lights not working as they work off the 12 volt . Sure sounds like a GFI is kicked. Will the AC work?

5. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

When I go to battery fan comes on but didn't try kicking a.c. on. My GFI is on a separate breaker and all my plugs work. Even took off back cover and checked the refrigerator plug and there is power there. Could it be from the converter????

6. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Overhead works with battery on, they don't work off of electric???????

7. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

8. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Should have said, do overheads only work off battery and not electric???

9. Clay L

Clay L Senior Member

There are two systems in your rig 12 vdc and 120 vac. A converter changes the 120 vac to 12 vdc. The 12 vdc usually powers lighting and provides power for control boards and fans in things like the refrigerator, furnace and water heater. The 120 vac will items power the AC. TV and microwave .

10. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

So could the converter/charger be the problem

11. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Have you checked your house batteries to see if they have a full charge? Need to be checked under load. If your lights will work the converter is probably working. If they want work when not hooked to shore power I think you have batt problem. The fridge will not work if it dont see 12 volts. My HR has a switch right by the door that cuts the batts off.

12. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Battery is new, just installed about 10 days ago. They work when I switch the battery on. I am not good at these things but trying to learn.

13. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

The no lights when hooked to shore power I dont understand because they work off the 12 volts and they work when just on battery power. If it was just the fridge not working I would say fridge board problem. If you have 120 at the plug for the refrigerator that rules out a breaker, so that goes back to no 12 volts at the board but then the range hook not working WOW or the lights. When you say no overhead lights you are talking about all ceiling lights?? Are you sure all this did not start when Battery was replaced? Was there just one Battery? 12 volt or 2 6 volts? Where are you located? Do you have a VOM and know how to use?

14. Clay L

Clay L Senior Member

Yes it could be the converter. As mentioned above you need to get a cheap volt ohm meter so you can check the voltage. When plugged into shore power the converter should be putting out about 13.5 volts. That should be charging the house batteries and also supplying voltage to the 12 vdc items in the rig.
    You can measure the voltage at the batteries when they are switched on. If they read 12.6 v or so the converter is either not working or somehow not connected to the batteries.

15. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

[QUOTE="Clay L, post: 84564, member: 1bring a volt meter up and check it this week]Yes it could be the converter. As mentioned above you need to get a cheap volt ohm meter so you can check the voltage. When plugged into shore power the converter should be putting out about 13.5 volts. That should be charging the house batteries and also supplying voltage to the 12 vdc items in the rig.
    You can measure the voltage at the batteries when they are switched on. If they read 12.6 v or so the converter is either not working or somehow not connected to the batteries.[/QUOTE]
    Friend who is s machinic is going to nring

16. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Keep us posted as to what you find KayKat50.

17. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Thanks all, will let you know what happens.

18. Kaykat50

Kaykat50 New Member

Update: Had unplugged the electric to the camper as we were getting a bad storm. 2 days later went out and plugged back in, when I went into camper the converter was running and everything is working now. Had to have been the converter. Thanks everyone for the help.

19. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Well at least it didn't cost to fix KayKat50. Hope the Gremlin stays away. Thanks for update.