noisy power inverter

krautdog

This is a strange one, I have a 1999 Fleetwood Mallard and I sometimes get a weird humming/wining noise coming from the general location of the power inverter. It's located behind a grill so I have to remove the grill to look at it. It sounds like the cooling fan is making noise but, it comes and goes. The other night, it started again and made a racket all night. I was going to take off the cover in the morning but right when I was getting out of bed, the noise stopped and didn't return for the rest of the day. It's done this in the past too. Any one have an idea? I'm going to open it up this weekend to have a look but, any suggestions about things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

TexasClodhopper

Re: noisy power inverter

If it has a fan in it, then it needs vacuuming on a regular basis. Dust will coat everything in there, just like in a computer. Yours may suffer some imbalance on the fan or the bearings on the fan are going out.

Kirk

Re: noisy power inverter

It could, and probably is the cooling fan. It might start and stop making the noise but the fan also may be turning on and off. Those fans are usually just a small simple, muffin type fan. They are available in many different sizes and voltage supplies at places like Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics.

Keep in mind that most of the fans do not run all of the time, but turn on and off by temperature.