Noobie advice

scottm

Hello everyone,
My wife and I officially have the RV bug! After countless family vacations dealing with expensive hotels and nights at the campgrounds in a hot tent we have decided to buy an RV. We are in the research phase right now. I've read the "Idiot's Guide to RVing" to get familiar with all the terminology and technology. We've looked at countless pictures online of RV's, floorplans, etc. and I'm starting to work my way through this forum. Based on our current vehicle and financial situation we've decided to get a travel trailer.
With the school year about to start (Wife's a teacher and we have 3 kids) we won't have time to take a vacation until Thanksgiving so we're not in a rush to buy one. We're going to head out this weekend to look at some of the dealers (Houston area) to actually see these things in person.
Any advice before heading out would be greatly appreciated. New vs Used, How old is too old, manufactures to avoid, etc.

Thanks,
-Scott

akjimny

Re: Noobie advice

Hi Scott and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I can't offer much advice about travel trailers - Ken from Grandview Trailer is our resident towable expert. What I can say is be very careful when selecting your trailer in that you don't overload whatever your tow vehicle will be. It is very easy to buy the biggest trailer you can, then overload it with all the stuff necessary to normal life - clothes, food, toys, etc. So don't buy a trailer at the top of your vehicle's tow range.

Since you say you are checking in the Houston area, you might want to check out the PPL Motorhomes website and sales lot. They deal strictly in consignment RV's of all types, including travel trailers. I have not had any experience with them, but they might be worth a check-out.

Again, welcome to the Forum and post back to let us know what you get, or any other questions you might have. :) :) :)

BrentS

Hi Scott, I am in your shoes. You summed up my situation almost exactly so I am excited to read the replies. I have been doing the research and shopping also and I really like your question "how old is too old." I have found what appear to be good deals, but I still don't have enough knowledge to keep myself from getting in to trouble on a used purchase. I have never been a fan of dealerships so I want to buy from a private owner, but that means you have to know your stuff.

Brent

akjimny

Scott & Brent - How old is too old? There are folks out there traveling and living in vintage RV's - Metzendorf and Airstreams made in the 50's. So, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and what ammenities you want AND how handy you are at fixing old things. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Triple E

Brent I have to disagree with you on knowing your stuff when buying from a private person. The private person will know more about his/her rig then any sales person. Most people are honest and will start at one end of the RV to the other. They know what they have or have not done to their rig and should have all of the maintenance records which most dealer will not have. With that being said, if the floor has a soft spot or water stain on the ceiling or walls, RUN. Look around at their cars, home and yard. If they take care of that stuff then chance are they took good care of the RV. ;) :approve: Good luck to the both of you guys and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

H2H1

well Steve I agree in part. I do think it is important to talk to a private owner over a dealer, however, just because it has a water stain on the ceiling does not mean it is in bad shape. I for one have 2 water stains on my ceiling. I found the leak and fixed it before any damage was done. I will tell you that the stain are hard as HE** to get out. most of the time they will spread. But you are right about private ownership being more knowledgeable than a dealer/sale man. Good point on your part

lovervliving

Good for you, Scott and Brent. You're going to love RVing. We gave up the hotels and airports years ago... No regrets whatsoever!

Scott, since you're in the Houston area, I agree with Jim's recommendation of PP&L. We bought our very first RV (Class C Winnebago) from them and it was an excellent purchase. They are knowledgeable and reputable. We'll definitely return to them again when we're in the market to upgrade.

...And, Brent--they have a website. We've seen people at their dealership who traveled from other states, etc. because they found their perfect RV. So, it could be worth a trip for you...

As far as buying from an individual--One of the nicest things about RVing is that you'll find most RVers to be honest people. I agree with what Triple E said above, "The private person will know more about his/her rig then any sales person. Most people are honest and will start at one end of the RV to the other. They know what they have or have not done to their rig and should have all of the maintenance records which most dealer will not have." However, you do need to know the basics like what your vehicle will tow (if buying a towable). Also, it's always good advice to follow your gut instincts.

Enjoy the ride

:)