Norcold fridge 2-way model 1995

mozoom

Hi guys,

This is my first post on your site.
I checked my fridge today only to find out that it's not working properly anymore ! It keeps popping my house breaker whenever I put it on auto.
It works fine on propane whether the switch is on Gas or auto. As soon as the house breaker pops, the fridge will switch to propane when it's on auto setting. ( 5 seconds tops)

I unplugged the fridge from the RV recepticle and connected directly to the house recepticle with a high grade extension cord but I get the same results. ( house beaker pops within 5 seconds).

I removed the power cover and the pc board seems ok. There is no discoloration or dammage that I can see.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Triple E

RE: Norcold fridge 2-way model 1995

Hello and welcome. Is your house plug a GFI? I know my GFI's will not handle the MH. If not, than you have a short some where.

Kirk

Re: Norcold fridge 2-way model 1995

First, remove the plug for the 120V in the back of your refrigerator. Next, look on the main circuit board and locate the two fuses. There will be two fuses, one of 3A and one of 5A. The 3A is for the 12V power that operates the controls and we know that is good because the same control circuits are used on propane as on 120V-AC power. Remove the 5A fuse, then try reconnecting the 120V plug and try selecting the AC side to see if you get an error message, and if the circuit breaker opens.

I suspect that your circuit breaker will not open but it should also give you an error code. If this is the case, your problem is a most likely a shorted heating element. I'm not sure why it would not blow the fuse before the breaker opens, but...... If this happens you will need to remove and replace the electric heating element. If the circuit breaker still opens, then you have a more serious problem, most likely in the power cord.

If you will check to see what model of refrigerator your Norcold is, I will do some checking in the service manuals and see if I can't give more specific information.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I think Kirk may be on the right track, but I have never seen a shorted element blowing house breakers feeding the refer. I agree there is a short somewhere, but I think it is in the circuit board or power cord at the refer. Let us know.

mozoom

Hi guys,
Thank you for your response ! I have pretty much taken everything apart and could not find anything out of the ordinary. I checked the heating element first and I had continuity on my Ohms meter. Both fuses are fine. I put everything back together and the fridge has been working on 120V for the past 8 hours without popping my house breaker ?! Go figure ????
Strange but it works for now. lol
I think the heating element maybe cracked and causing an intermitent short within the system. Anyhow, I will keep a close eye on that electric heating element and will test it first thing the next time it acts up on me.

It's kind of nice to have propane as a backup....

Thanks again everyone.

Al