North to Alaska

H2H1

Re: North to Alaska

well Jim you and the boss lady be careful on your trip. We hope to meet you and the boss at the M&G

LEN

30 and 14 to go for me. But I'm starting further north. Where is your final stop. Might just try and stop by. Just leave a bread crumb trail.

LEN

akjimny

Final stop is my Sister-in-law's driveway in Anchorage. They live in the Muldoon area, close to the Army and Air Force bases. We will either be at her house or down on the Kenai, fishing (hopefully catching) :laugh: :laugh:

Blueeyes

I am so jealous of your trip. We went to Alaska on a cruise & took the land tour on a train but would still like to go in our Rv.
Don't pet any bears. :laugh:

akjimny

Just did a quick check on Gas Buddy - prices running around $4.15 a gallon, Calgary thru Edmonton, and higher the further North I go. Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do to get there. If you see me along side of the road holding an impromptu yard sale for gas money, please stop and buy something. :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Can't wait to get on the road ! ! ! Loading up non-perishable groceries and some clothes. Boss Lady says she'll need to take more this year. :( :( :eek: . need to fill and flush the water tank one more time, hook up the trailer, load the motorcycles, medicines, stuff, stuff and more stuff.

Meanwhile, gas prices are go up, up, up. :angry: :angry: :( :( Oh well, whatcha gonna do. :bleh: :bleh: :question: :question:

whitey

Jim; you are going to get up their before the Ice gose out at Nenana. i'm beting on 17 May 11 at 13:17hrs.
what do you think.

akjimny

All those years up there I never placed at bet on the Ice Classic. Too unpredictable for me. But we'll be there no later than May 5th, or my bro-in-law's license will expire and he'll have to take his CDL exam all over. So needless to say, he's in a rush to get back. :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

Well Jim you the boss lady and BiL be careful on your trip back to God Country. One of these days I hope to travel up and see that beautiful state.

LEN

One step closer!! Got my Bear negotiation tool today that I can take through Canada and on the Alaska. Well it could work for protection too. 8 shot Remington 870 short barrel and regular plus a pistol grip if I want to shorten it. Wonder in bear country how I should load it buck, buck, slug, buck, slug or buck, slug, buck, slug.

LEN

H2H1

Well Len I guess that would depend if I wanted a bear rug, or be bear food. But for me it would slug slug slug slug, and if that didn't do the job, a real fast pair of shoes. :cool: :cool: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Len - I have a Mossberg 500. I go frangible, frangible, slug, slug, buck, buck. Have the standard stock with a sling, but I'm going to get the collapsible stock with the pistol grip when I get up there. Remember to fill out the paperwork in advance for the Canadians and you shouldn't have any problems coming across the border. I didn't last year. Just had to pay them their $25.00 fee. :) :)

LEN

I think I have their page bookmarked so I can fill it out and have it all ready. What do we need on the way back, haven't researched that yet. Kinda looked at the fishing gear today too. 2 Light spinning, medium spinning, heavy spinning, medium to heavy level wind and a club of a fly rod. May have to pickup a bunch of new line and a few lures.

LEN

akjimny

If your stay is Alaska is less than 60 days, it's the same paperwork, coming and going. However, if you stay over 60 days, you have to fill it out again and pay another $25.00.

Your selection of fishing gear looks good. If you already have it, bring it. If not, Walmart or Fred Meyers carries everything you need. I hope I remember to bring my fly tying gear. I like my own better than most of what I can buy. You will need hip boots or waders if you are going to do any salmon fishing on the rivers.

akjimny

That's pretty neat, Nash. Unfortunately for me, the trip up won't include any sightseeing. If my Bro-In-Law had his way, we'd drive straight thru, one sleeping, one driving, and Boss Lady fixing sandwiches along the way while bouncing down the highway. Maybe on the way back. :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

G

IMO that is the only way to travel ,,, go go till u get there ,, no matter what ,, then take u'r time on the way back ,, but i not much for sight seeing ,, all i want to do is get to where i am going ,, and then take my time coming back ,, cause i know i am only heading home :disapprove: :angry:

C Nash

Not me Rod. I got to stop and see everthing. Took us a week to drive the Blue Ridge PW. LOL I thought it was a law that you HAVE to pull of at ever pull off :laugh:

H2H1

Nash I am with you, I like to stop and smell the flowers, I don't, I am so excited to be out that I become Rod and get there and then site see on the way back. I do try to see all I can thru the windshield, but unless I get orders to stop I don't well except for gas :(