North to Alaska

akjimny

Re: North to Alaska

Gas and Rest Stops. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's an "Older Person" thing. :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Re: North to Alaska

Fourth day on the road. First night was okay. Second night, as we were pulling into the road to the campground, there were flashing blue lights in the rear view mirror. Ooooooo, sparkly!! Since my Bro-In-Law was driving, I asked him what he had done to warrant such attention. He was baffled. He rolled down the window and the officer asked if we were heading for the Creekside Campground? We said "Yes." The officer told us that they were evacuating everybody from down there due to the creek flooding. So, with tears in our eyes and sadness in our hearts, we headed off into the night looking for another campground. We found another campground about 20 miles further down the road that was only half flooded out. Ah - what a grand adventure. Tonight we are camped at a service plaza on the Ohio Turnpike. $15.00 for electricity with a dump station and water available. Not too bad. Tomorrow we are off to Indiana and Illinois, trying to dodge tornadoes along the way. :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

stefan s

How was your trip to Alaska? My wife and I have thought about taking a road trip up there but never made good on all the talk. We did take an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. Even that was cold! My wife literally looked like an Eskimo bundled up in her jacket, mittens, scarf, and her UGG boots. The best part of the trip was whale watching. If you RV up there, are there any good spots for watching marine wildlife? I was hoping to see a moose. Maybe next time.

LEN

We were up for 58 days this year, we had warmer weather than the northwest for most of the time. Don't think we had the heater on more than a couple times overnight and just a warm up in the morning most of the time. We had Moose, grizz, black bear, cariboo, sheep and other animals under 20' from the toad. Yes there are a number of spots to sit and watch wild life, Homer spit, Ninilchick(deep creek beach) for eagles, and lots of little lakes to boondock by on the way up that have birds,beaver, muskrat, and moose, and sheep on the mountains near by.

LEN

krsmitty

Len, Jimmy...

I assume you folks carry some type of weapons with all the critters about? Especially when boon-docking.

akjimny

12 guage Mossberg pump, loaded buckshot, buckshot, slug, slug. Haven't had to use it yet. Thank goodness - the paperwork afterward would probably take up half the summer.:D

H2H1

OK the old Gerogia red neck here need some advice,,, since we moved to the new forum and I lost my map of the states, how do I put them back on here?

LEN

Same as akjimny only Winchester. Remember going through Canada no hand guns. Paper work on line for Canada and be sure to get paperwork for return to US, I was beatup for not having it on the return to the lower 48 but was in and out of Alaska with no trouble.

LEN

Triple E

Len what paper work are you talking about? Also when I drove to Alaska about 36 years ago I was aloud to take a hand gun. The Canadian border sealed it in a bag, notified the Alaska Canadian Border that I was coming. I had so many days to get there. When I got to the Alaska border I had to take the sealed bag in so they could make sure the bag had not been tampered with, recorded the numbers on the bag then they sent me on my way. Is this still the case?

akjimny

If you go to this website (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/909.pdf) you will find the form you need to fill out to bring a long gun (rifle/shotgun) into Canada. You will also need $25.00 for each weapon. I believe you can bring a pistol in if the barrel is 5 inches or longer and you have an "Authorization to Transport" completed prior to entry. It can be done but it ain't easy (or cheap).:):)

LEN

Don't think the handgun bag is done anymore at least I couldn't find any reference. The Canadian paper work is down loadable, they didn't ask to see the gun I took just gimmie the money. And I haven't seen the US paper work, but I didn't know it existed.

LEN

akjimny

At the Canadian border I had the gun laid out on the bed. The customs officer came in and verified the serial number against the paperwork, then sent me over to pay the entry fee. The US border officers didn't even ask about any weapons. I probably could have driven across in an M1 tank. All they wanted to know was if I was bringing in any fruits or vegtables from Canada and if I had more than 10 grand in cash (I wish).