Nose Plugs?

Troyster

I know this is going to sound funny, but it is a serious question.

The last few times I have dumped the tanks on our 26' travel trailer, I have noticed the usual smell coming from the hose as the black tank empties, but then a very strong smell coming out when I drain the grey tank.

I know that these are not designed to smell pretty, and I don't expect perfume or roses or anything, but such a strong odor from the grey tank makes me think: "Bacteria".

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, solutions?

Am I just worrying needlessly?

Should I just buy a quality pair of noseplugs?

DL Rupper

RE: Nose Plugs?

Try using an enzyme type holding tank cleaner. The enzymes are supposed to eat all the protiens in the tank. I would use it extra strength.. After trying that and you don't succeed try bleach in the tank. I hate to say this it brings up old memories on this forum, but some people advocate using a water softener like Calgon and laundrey detergent while your tank is being used and to follow up with a cup of bleach about 1 hr before dumping. You might give that a try also. If all else fails, clip on the nose plugs tight.

hertig

Re: Nose Plugs?

sounds like your problem is with the gray tank, not the black tank. Get a 'gray tank' treatment and pour it down all the sinks and the shower drain and see if that helps.

Shadow

We bought something at wal-mart one time. Can't remember the name, but it came in a green plastic jug. Maybe about twenty ounce size. Think you use two or three ounces in your gray tank for odor control. It may be what DL's talking about. You only need it in the heat of summer.

Troyster

I walk into Camping world and look at the row upon row of chemicals and my eyes glaze over. :dead:

I guess I never realized they made one especially for grey tanks too. But then who would imaging they have over 50 different things that you pay from $4.99-$49.99 just so you can dump them down the toilet? :question:

I'll have to try to find it. Thanks everyone for your input.

DL Rupper

RE: Nose Plugs?

The enzyme treatment is good for both grey and black tanks as well as the calgon/detergent/bleach treatment is good for either tank. Take your pick which tank. The enzymes are basically what they use to treat septic tanks. My thought is that if you get kitchen scraps that go down your grey tank drain, the enzyme treatment will eat them and any bacteria. Just a suggestion.

s.harrington

Bleach works real good for killing bacteria in either tank. And I have worked on some really rank grey tanks before. Now I always bleach everything first.