Not Something We Want

LEN

Re: Not Something We Want

Note both were pulling mountains or pass's. First I'll bet melted the turbo. Second, I know that area, lotta heat generated when pulling hard. Scares the chit out one.

LEN

G

yea ,, i know Len ,, but one thing i noticed in the second one ,, was how long it took the FD to actually attack the fire ,, our FD would have hoses drawn before the truck ever stopped ,, and i know not much worth saving ,, but still :)

utmtman

Tis sad and ugly no matter how we view it. There is a site on the net I saw one day that shows only rv accidents and stupidities, it amazes how many there are yearly.

H2H1

ROD you are so right, the FF was so slow on getting water/foam to the fire. BTW just where is this place located I just want to make sure I don't go that way :laugh:

Well after watching both videos and being an RVer and a Firefighter/EMT I understand completly why it took them a while to get the water going. If you look there is live power lines and they dont know if they are hot or not. Second when the rv is blowing the propane out the side if that were to explode it could kill us. The rv is a total lose and there is no reason to put a firefighter in danger. I have fought many a rv fires in my 17 years in the fire service. You have to treat them like a house fire with the diffrence being its on the road. The other problem is that it is an older rv and the materials on the inside are more readly combustible so it will burn faster and hotter. Sorry to go on the defensive but like I said I am a Firefighter/EMT first and foremost and I support my fellow brothers in this situation.

G

Well i can understand u'r point ,, and yes they were waiting for the lp tanks to valve off ,, but i too am in the fire service a LT and hazmat tech ,, and H2H1 is a retired Fire chief and fire inspector ,, but i guess we are from the old school ,, hit it hard hit it fast ,, that's the risk we take everyday ,, but damn well worth it ,, and by no means am i trying to start anything at all ,, :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :)

rcclark

Risk management for firefighters...risk nothing to save nothing. There was nothing to save in either of those RV's but a lot of risk: bumper struts, venting propane, tires, and whatever other content and plastics are inside (benzene). Extinguishing the fire before the propane has finished venting causes a bigger problem...now you've got propane pooling at ground level looking for another ignition source. My guess is the muffler on the exhaust on the ALF runs about 1000 deg...that should be enough to light off the remaining propane. Nah...there was nothing worth hurrying for there let it burn and keep the firefighters safe to fight another day.

Insurance should pay for a replacement camper, so not really worth risking lives for what little property could be saved...