OK Stupid Question

ironart

Most of you know by reading the posts that I just acquired a 1992 National Dolphin 3400.... I love this coach.
Problem is that it has a "rubber" strip, where the cargo doors meet the main cabin of the coach. The previous owner painted over this strip..(It was probably stained or discolored) with white paint of some sort. Well it is cracking and does not look real good..

I would like to sand off most of it and repaint but don't know if I am making a mistake or what paint I should use.

Help and advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

Paul and Denise Bevens
and my 2 Aussies :) :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: OK Stupid Question

I think, first, you need to determine what that strip is really made of.

I believe I would consider "painting" it with a sealant/caulking compound. It would remain flexible at least.

Just a random thought. I haven't tried it.

C Nash

Can you just replace the weather stripping Paul? Most any paint will crack on rubber IMO

ironart

Hi Chelse,

I never thought of that....I guess I have to find the exact replacement for that...any suggestions...???

Thanks

C Nash

Think that stuff just comes in rolls or sold by the foot. GTS or Rod should know.

G

Paul u can get the stuff at CW or napa even carries it ,, or any dealer should have it ,, and use the 3m weather stripping glue ,, it comes in yellow or black ,,, but now if u'r compart ,, doors have grooves for it to slide into ,, the napa stuff won't work ,,, take one off and let me know what type u have ,, and we can go from there :approve: :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh:

RvRover

RE: OK Stupid Question

Rubber is cheap, take the strip to a supply house and get something that is close to it and give it a try. There are many products you can use to fill in around it. Something like rubber cement I would think.

ironart

Well......After looking at it and looking at it, and researching on line for rubber paint....I actually found some...They use it for traffic lines on the road...SA-SO makes it and it is only $36.00 per Gal. (way more than I need but I will share) This is some sort of weather strip and real hard to remove...It is caulked on the top with a beautiful bead of silicone and I am really not sure if I can duplicate it..(really non standard stuff) I am going to try the paint first and see how that comes out.....I can always rip it out if that doesn't work but I really need to find the exact replacement first. With National out of Biz. I don't know who to turn to for a replacement and I am afraid that, If I found some, it will be way more than $36.00. After all this is an old coach and this weather strip is not cracked or missing any parts...It really looks good mechanically....just needs a little refreshing.

Thanks for all of your help and advice...You guys are really the greatest..and so patient with a clutz like me..

:( :eek: :) :)

C Nash

Paul, you might also try the automotive shops for the paint that they use on the flex bumpers. You could probably get it in quarts but don't know about the price. just another thought.

ironart

Hi Chelse

Good Idea....We have a custom auto paint supplier close by....They mix custom colors for the Body shops. I am sure they would have it..
This little piece is weird...It is about 2 1/2" wide and made of some sort of flexible material....Not rubber it is harder then that. It will give if you apply pressure but not very much. it is like a trim piece that goes between the house and the cargo doors, just above the hinges. When originally installed it had it's own color (cream) molded into the material. Over time the color yellowed and eventually became uneven with dark and light spots......and looked bad.....I am just trying to get back to one color . I know it will look good when I am finished and that is all I need to do to finish off the coach. The rest of the exterior is flawless and just needs a little wax. I love this coach..!!!! :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh: :approve:

Paul and Denise Bevens
Dolphin 3400
Hesperia, CA