Old Rv: New Leak

BenW

I recently bought a 1984 Southwind...It's an oldie but for poor folks dosen't take the world to make us happy... Water is pouring in around the tv antenna...Was ok until I cranked it up on a recent trip.... Does anyone have any advice.....Thanks for any help! Ben

DL Rupper

RE: Old Rv: New Leak

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like it's time to climb up on top and take a look. Hope you have a ladder on the back of your RV. Did you align the antenna back to the original position when you brought it back down? :question:

ARCHER

Re: Old Rv: New Leak

Regardless of what or how, ya gotta get up there and fix it. Determine where it is leaking, exactly, and then use some sealant (flexible) and let it dry, then spray some water on it to see if it still leaks. You may need to do some fixing prior to using the sealant. I've got an old 89 Chieftain, and have had a couple leaks over the last couple years.....around window (new weatherstripping used), around top running lights (sealant used), small pin holes on roof (supposedly, so painted the alum roof with alum sealant paint), around A/C unit (I think, so put new rubber gaskets on and remounted A/C UNIT). Don't forget, the leak is not always exactly where it comes inside.....might be some place else and running to the easiest opening. ;)

s.harrington

Depends on the type of antenna, but some have plastic covers over the mechanisms that can crack with age. Crawl up on top and see.

Kirk

If you have a Wineguard antenna, like most of us do, there is a seal kit that is available for them and that probably is what you need. The kit comes with directions, or used to, and there are several "O" rings in it that may need to be replaced. Very likely that is what your problem is.

hamdave

If it is a Winegard, there are several possibilities. The most common is your crank handle goes up through the roof and is mated to a spur-like gear that raises/lowers the antenna as you rotate it. There are o-ring seals that should be lubricated on a regular basis, about 6 months. Mine had a broken tooth on the straight gear, so I removed it, put in a new one and replaced/lubed the o-rings with silicon grease. Leak stopped. Yours may not be the same, but since you have older rig, I certainly would check that first.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Good luck

rvroofing

heyy check out:

im sure they will definitely help you as they were very useful 2 me as well!!

Best of luck! :)

Kirk

rvroofing

You are wasting your time in trying to sell that crap to these folks as the post was almost a year ago. I just visited the website listed in this advertisement to let them know what we all think of companies that try to sneak advertising on the forums.