Onan 4k generator problem

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by Dave-o, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Dave-o

Dave-o New Member

I have a Onan 4k generator in my 38ft fifth wheel. The generator will run from anywhere
    from 5 minutes to 30 minutes and shutdown. It is very inconsistent. I am receiveing a
    trouble code 36 (engine stopped without comand by control). The generator will start
    right back up after dying. The gen has it's own fuel tank so I checked the fuel lines
    fuel vent hoses at tank and at fill neck, installed new fuel filter, and ran gen with fuel tank
    cap off to double check vent system and still same results. I am leaning towards the
    fuel pump but not sure. any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

Re: Onan 4k generator problem

Have you checked the oil level? Most generators have an oil level sensor. Don't know if that is it, but something to look at.

3. Dave-o

Dave-o New Member

Thanks for the advice. I just checke oil level and oil is at full.

4. CARL

CARL New Member

RE: Onan 4k generator problem

YOU PROBABLY HAVE DONE THIS ALLREADY, BUT HERE GOES I HADE THIS SAME PROBLEM ,CHANGED THE AIR FILTER RAN GREAT AFTERWARDS

5. CARL

CARL New Member

RE: Onan 4k generator problem

DISREGARD MY LAST MESSAGE READ YOUR PROBLEM WRONG SORRY

:(

6. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Carl see you are a new member on the board so welcome but, leave off the caps. Some might think you are yelling :laugh: