Onan Generator Problem

Raybdt

I have a Onan 6500LP generator which has twice recently stopped working. On dismantling it we found the vapouriser and the regultor were fairly full of a brown emulsified oil substance. Initially we just cleaned everything out and assembled it again.LPG apppears clean upto Vapouriser. This second time we wonder if it may be as a result of reaction of gas with the metal used on the vapouriser (looks like steel), The vapouriser pipe was also held against the exhause pipe with jubilee clips. So have replaced it with a copper one, and moved it slightly away to avoid possible hotspots. If this doesn't work, any sugggestions?
It is 4 years old and only done about 250 hours use.

Kirk

Onan Generator Problem

First, let me say that I am not a mechanic, just an experienced RV owner and avid reader of service information. But based upon what I have been told by a friend who retired from the LP business it sounds to me as though for some reason you are collecting a lot of residual oil from the LP. All LP gas does have some residual oil and I have been told that it can collect in your tank, bur rarely does. It can and does effect regulators, so why not the vaporizer? Back when I was a kid(in the 50's) we had two 100# bottles for the kitchen stove. The supplier had my dad prop one of them upside down when empty and then open the valve for a couple of days to drain out the oil. As I recall there was a significant amount that came out. I would think that propane would have better quality control today, but does it? I know that this isn't an answer, but it my be food for thought!

Poppa

Onan Generator Problem

Kirk to start off with you were never a kid, you were born full grown and old like everyone else :laugh: .

You hit the nail on the head, with the oil situation but it does not come from the propane believe it or not propane is clean. It actually comes from the leaking seals in the pumps of the company filling and transfering the oiland the cruddy rust looking residues is from the interior of the tanks :( .

Propane is a disstilled light hydrocarbon and heavier oils can'y transverse the distilation process

Raybdt

Onan Generator Problem

Thanks for the information, however it now raises further questions.

1. Would not the in line filter show some evidence of collecting these oil impurities, this is completely clean.

2. According to the Onan FAQ section it says that the regulater is designed to disperse any oil present.

Thanks in advance Ray

Raybdt

Onan Generator Problem

Thanks for the information, however it now raises further questions.

1. Would not the in line filter show some evidence of collecting these oil impurities, this is completely clean.

2. According to the Onan FAQ section it says that the regulater is designed to disperse any oil present.

Thanks in advance Ray