Onan Generator Situation

buffs94

This problem seems quite common among Onan owners. I start my genny and it idles up and down and after a few minutes it stops. If you've experienced this, what was the problem and how did you fix it? Thanks very much for the info. I am a newby and don't have very deep pockets right now.

Poppa

Onan Generator Situation

Welcome to our world, Your generator starts and idles up and down several times then settles down running smoothly or does it quit running?

If it starts and idles up and down a few times then settles down running smoothly, you have o problem as that is normal until the engine warms up and the choke opens fully.

If it quits running period, check the fuel filter a heck change it their cheap.

buffs94

Onan Generator Situation

Thanks for the info. Yeah, it basically stops running all together after a few minutes. Fuel filter huh? Hmmm, I'll give that a try. What if that doesn't fix it? Any other possibilities?

buffs94

Onan Generator Situation

Thanks for the info. Yeah, it basically stops running all together after a few minutes. Fuel filter huh? Hmmm, I'll give that a try. What if that doesn't fix it? Any other possibilities?

ARCHER

Onan Generator Situation

Check the air filter also. They require service at regular intervals for fuel, air, and oil change, just like a regular engine. It might be gummed up somewhat if not run for a long time and you might need to get into the carb and spray with gumout to clear it out. Good luck and welcome to the forum. ;)

JimE

Onan Generator Situation

I had the same issue, less than 100 hours on the generator and it would idle up and down unless it was under a heavy load with both AC units running. I changed the air filter and the fuel filter, and it seemed to get better but then returned to its old ways. I finally took in to Onan and they had to replace the carb. Runs like a champ now.

pathfinderxlt

Onan Generator Situation

Try lightly taping the electric fuel pump as the generator is turning over. Mine used to stick from sitting. I fixed it by putting a little marvil mystery oil in the fuel flilter when I changed it every spring.(smoke a little on start up but goes away quick)no more sticking pump. Rich B.