Onan Generator

kcallard

I recently purchased a 2002 Trail-Lite RVision Condor motorhome with a 5000kw Onan Generator.
We have already taken the unit on a 5000 mile trip but never had the need to use the generator.

I tried to start the generator the other day in prep for a more rustic camping trip, but it won't start or even crank.
When I try to start it with the RV plugged into power, there is some kind noise (buzzing) which I assume is some sort of override to prevent you from using the generator when plugged into 110.

I've tried both the dash button start and the start/stop switch next to the generator itself.

I assume that the power required to start the generator comes from the house batteries, and these are fully charged.

Is there another switch or ????

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

Keith

TexasClodhopper

Re: Onan Generator

Try to have someone measure the house battery voltage WHILE you try to crank the generator.

Also, measure the SAME voltage, but at the generator end.

That's information that is needed.

G

Re: Onan Generator

not doubting ,, tex's reply ,, but one other thing ,, some genset's use the engine battery for starting ,, after all if the house batts are low ,, how are u gonna get then recharged ,, but ther agian ,, if the engine batt is down ,, how u gonna get the genset started ,, but as tex said ,, need a bit more info :approve: :approve: :)