Onan Quiet Diesel Generator Error Code 46

Discussion in 'Class A / Diesel Pushers' started by glennbonner, Jan 18, 2007.

1. glennbonner

glennbonner New Member

I had orignally posted this problem under the Talkback forum, but under advice am reposting here.

I have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD with an Onan RV Quiet Diesel 7500, Model SQDHDKAJ1145H. On our last trip, after arriving at our destination, I tried to start the genset and it would not crank - silent, would not turn over. Instead I got the error code flashes on both the Dashboard and Genset siwtches. After checking it gave me 4 + 6 flashes (error code 46) which the manual says is low voltage and suggests checking the batteries and cables.

I then checked my batteries which were fully charged, the battery terminals and the battery cables on the back of the genset. I checked voltage at each point and although there was slight corrosion on the cables connecting to the back of the genset, I cleaned them good and reconnected. After insuring that I had good battery power and connectivity, I removed the inspection plate on the Genset for the coolant and fuses, checked the three fuses with a circuit tester. All three tested good, I replaced them and got the same result - error code followed by 4 flashes then 6 flashes?

I have been fortunate that we are connecting to land power each night which charges the batteries. I also tried connecting a 12-volt battery direct to the terminals at the rear of the genset - bypassing the house batteries and cables and had no luck. Any help is appreciated!

Glenn Bonner
    2005 Vectra 36RD
  2. Bush70

Bush70 New Member

Re: Onan Quiet Diesel Generator Error Code 46

I checked the trouble shooting manuel. If you are sure the battery and or connections are ok then the only other thing they list is the controller. The controller/ inverter contols everything from starting to charging. I don't know for sure but my guess would be it could be an expensive part. Also I would check wiring at the controler before replacing it. You might get lucky and find corrision or a broken wire. If not you might want to check and see if there is any waranty left on the unit. Hope this helps.
    Good Luck
  3. glennbonner

glennbonner New Member

Re: Onan Quiet Diesel Generator Error Code 46

Bush70: Thanks, I checked all of the battery connections at the charger/inverter as well as the battery relays (my relays have fuses on both sides that I checked as well) I am assuming if the error code is true that I would have solved the problem (of low input voltage) when I connected a fully charged battery to the Genset 12V input terminals. If the error is really related to the 120V output side, I have not checked any of those connections.