P 30 fuel pump problem

dkeefe

I had a fuel delivery problem with my '93 Itasca Sunrise last winter in Florida that was diagnosed as rust in the tank plugging the sock on the fuel pump. That made sense because it would run fine for 100-200 miles then have a fuel starvation problem, I would then turn off the ignition then turn it right back on [the idea being the rust would fall away from the sock with the fuel pump off] and it would run fine.
The problem always occured late in the afternoon when the outside air was very warm and didn't happen again after we left Florida and got in to cooler weather on our way home [northern NY] and I am wondering if there is some connection.

After we got home I took out the fuel tank and there was some rust in it [I think most of it came from the filler pipe] I flushed the tank and put in a new fuel pump and strainer, but I have not driven it to test it yet. When I checked the voltage coming in to the pump it was 10.2 with the engine not running [the battery is at 11.8 volts]

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, or can shed some light on the subject? I want to make sure I have it fixed before we head south again.
Thanks
Dan

TexasClodhopper

Re: P 30 fuel pump problem

I would get someone to check the fuel pump pressure AND FLOW at the carburetor. For rust to stop up the intake, you would have to have found lots of large flakes of it in the tank.

And while you're at it, find a way to check the voltage at the fuel pump WHILE it is running. That will tell you if there is a break in the power wire. (Even a whisker of a connection will allow voltage to show across a break in a wire, but it won't allow much current to the load. So, you have to test for breaks or loose connections under load.)

G

i agree with tex ,, but u'r engine should be fuel injected ,, i may be wrong ,, but if it is ,, ck and change the main fuel filter ,, and also make sure the fuel rail didn't get any tiny particles in the injectors ,, i had a MH that was missing ,, it was a ford 460 motor around about 95 yr model or so ,, the owner did what he new ,, plugs ,, and such ,, but still had a miss ,, we looked at it ,, and the scanner i have shows pulse widths for the injectors ,, well # 4 was showing no action ,, so we pulled the rail and that injector ,, and low and behold ,, the little screen that is built into the injector ,, was plugged solid ,, so we recomended haveing all the injectors cked ,, and replaced ,,, and then have the tank pulled and cleaned ,, took care of the problem ,, and the customer was smiling even when he wrote the ck :laugh: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool:

TexasClodhopper

Now, Rod. You might be in yer zajeratin' mode with that "customer was smiling even when he wrote the ck" comment.

I bet YOU were smilin', though! :clown:

H2H1

Tex we all smile when someone write us a check :laugh: :laugh: :bleh: :bleh:

C Nash

And I thought Rod never charged anyone :eek: Dan is it a Ford or Chevy?

G

Dan since it's TBI ,, do u have a timing light available????
If so ,, after u have cked the power and flow and pressures ,, hook the timing light up to any plug wire that is easy to get to ,, start the engine and let it run till it get's up to operating temp ,, then shine the timing light down into the TBI unit ,, and at idle watch the mist pattern ,, it should be ,, fine with no big looking balls falling ,, now rev the motor up about 2,500 hundred and use the light again ,, this time the pattern should be alot wider than it was at idle ,, and also watch for any big balls of fuel falling ,, it should be a nice clean mist ,, now if u don't get a mist pattern above idle ,, i would think the prob is in the TBI unit ,, they have kits avail to rebuild them ,, and it's not as hard as it looks ,,, but then again this is only if all else cks out ok ,,,, ;) :approve: :) :) :)