phones

glennis

Hi, I was talking recently about buying a cell phone because we want to travel into the U.S.A. soon from Canada. A person said to me to wait until we got into the States and buy a throwaway phone from stores like Walmart etc and said that they were fairly cheap and you could keep buying extra time for them and when you left the states just throw them into the garbage or take them back the next year and reactivate them. Is this true or is this person just screwing me around. Thanks for any info on this. ( newley retired). Glennis. :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: phones

Glennis,
I would say what you were told was true. There are throwaway phones available where a long term contract is not needed. I happened to be somewhere today that had some.

LEN

Don't know about the message body.

But as to the cells yes you can buy a through away phone.
In this mornings paper I remember 2, one for $25 and one $30 ad they came with 300 minutes. And I think(dangeous) that was nation wide long distance. They keep track of minutes on a count down, then you call with your credit card or stop by some store and recharge.

LEN

utmtman

Message body is the information of a message from the start to the finish of the message.
The wife and I started with the trac phone from walmart some 7 years ago and used them for three or four years. You buy your minutes before you use the phone and add more when you run out. I did like the phone for getting service where others did not work. But when we were in the east it started chargings us three minutes for every one used so we dumped them and got a regular cell phone. Good luck to you.

DL Rupper

We used the TracFone for about 3 years until I washed and dried in my pants pocket. It worked great and I had about the same reception/availability U.S. wide as the verizon I have now. You can get one at Wal-Mart for about $15. The minutes run about $40 for 200 minutes, but for $50 you can get a card that will double your minutes each time, so you can get 400 minutes for $40.

C Nash

We have the TracFone from wal mart and it works fine if you are not a talker. They can eat up the minutes pretty fast as all the pay per min phones will..