plastic smell and taste in water

bback

I have a new passport pull behind that I've used 5-6 times. The water tastes like plastic from the plumbing. The coffee is almost undrinkable. This happens from the holding tank and the city hookup. What should I do?

C Nash

Re: plastic smell and taste in water

Are you using the right kind of hose to fill or connect to water source? I would treat the tanks and run several tanks through the system. You can treat the tanks with clorox. Your manual should give the proper mixture. Mine uses 1/4 cup clorox to 16 gallon.

paulm235

I know this isn't the answer you are probably looking for but we never drink from the water in our tanks or city hookup. We only shower, wash dishes, flush, etc. We always bring our water for coffee and drinking from home or the store. ;)
On the other hand being that the rig is new you might want to tell the dealer about it...?

C Nash

It's not uncommon for the new units to have this smell untill water has been run through the systems.

WandaLust

RE: plastic smell and taste in water

bback - 9/18/2009 2:59 PM I have a new passport pull behind that I've used 5-6 times. The water tastes like plastic from the plumbing. The coffee is almost undrinkable. This happens from the holding tank and the city hookup. What should I do?

We have the same problem with our new Zinger. You can smell the plastic in the water. It's sickening. :dead: We've been filling clean gallon milk jugs for coffee and cooking. Surely there has to be a product that doesn't off-gas this awful plastic taste the RV companies could have used.

bback

Thanks for the replies. I talked to the dealer and they suggested bleach or a filter at the kitchen faucet. I will try the bleach first. I agree with you WandaLust.