PLEASE HELP - OVERWHELMED

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to trailer camping. We are buying our first trailer and will be seasonal in a campground and will not be moving it at all. Here is my dilemma: depending on who you talk to some bash stick and tin while other like them. I need some real advice, please help I am begging!

We are looking at the Forest River Salem 28DDSS and some are bashing there quality. I am also considering the cross roads Sunset line which is aluminum and fiberglass.

Lastly, we really like the sunset but when we looked at it today there was water coming from underneath the cabinets and underneath the fridge. The dealer said the water was coming through the vent but it really concerned me.

Please help

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: PLEASE HELP - OVERWHELMED

Welcome the forum, Water can come in through the vent. The concern I would have is why? The only way to "accidentally" make it leak is to spray water with a hose directly onto the vent. Water will get inside and run out on the floor under the Refer. If the unit had just been washed, maybe there is nothing to worry about. If it was raining and the vent leaked, there is a major problem.

I would listen to what you have been told, the Cross Roads trailer should be the better built.

I just looked at that floorplan, so many companies make it, if the Cross Roads scares you away, keep looking.

It has been raining here all day. What the dealer told me was the gutter (well it looks like a gutter to me) has a gap in it at the roof. You can see water stains where the water is dripping down the side of the trailer and going right into the vent. The wood below the fridge is also water stained in which they said they would replace. He also offered to open it all up so I can see if and any damage. Lastly, he promised that it would be fine but again he is a sales guy. Have you heard of cross roads ST line? It seems like a new line? I would also guess Salem is not the right choice?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Gaps in gutters are common, they only come in 10' or 12' sections. Caulking them fixes the gap. Apparently they did not caulk the gap or did not do it correctly. Water still should not have gotten into the vent. ALL vents are exposed to weather and should not leak. Just because water was running down from a gap, I don't buy it. They should be able to fix it though, again not a common problem.

I edited my earlier post, if this trailer does not do it for you, keep looking. This floorplan is not hard to find.

Correct we really love the floor plan and this is the nicest trailer we have seen so far and the quality seems very good but that water keeps sticking in my mind. On the other hand I got a really good deal on the Salem but it seems like they get bashed a lot. We can keep looking but we have no idea what lines to look at and what to stay away from. It's really becoming quite overwhelming

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yep, they get bashed. Go to General Rving right here. Search FR, you will see pages and pages of them getting bashed.

I sell SunnyBrook and Gulf Stream products. Look at both of them. Sunset Creek by SunnyBrook is aluminum framed, enclosed underbelly, porcelian toilet, glass shower door, walk on roof, lumber core cabinet styles, 10 year warranty on cabinet doors, huge pass through storage on most models. The list is much longer, check them out. Look at the 312 BDHS.

Gulf Stream makes lots of models to look at. Conquest, Stream Lite, Gulf Breeze and some more.

I am sure others here will jump in and tell you of others.

Grandview Trailer Sa

That could be arranged. I sent you a private message. If you want, send me a PM back and give me your phone number. I will be glad to call you.

DL Rupper

STAY away from FR products. :( Kenneth at Grandview is a good dealer. :)

SnowbirdInFlight

I have a FR Sierra and have had it for almost eight years. We've never had any trouble with it at all. FR products are no better or worse than any other product. It just depends on what you like and what you already have. It's like some people who like Dodge trucks are going to pick out all the flaws in Fords and visa-versa. The best thing to do is think for yourself and check things out thoroughly before you choose the one you want. The only FR advice you should listen to is the ones who ACTUALLY HAVE A FR PRODUCT because they are the ones who ACTUALLY know about them.

TexasClodhopper

Well, if you haven't had any problems then what could you share with them?

The ones that do post about problems have something to share so they do share their experiences.

The ones writing about problems, have had the problems, so they are very important to hear from.

You can't silence their opinion by decree, "The only FR advice you should listen to ...."

DL Rupper

Hey snowbird don't take it so personnel about FR being crappy. Just consider yourself lucky because you haven't had any problems. Lots of folks have had problems with FR products and warranty issues. Lots of folks specifically ask "what have you heard about" xyz.
The reason this forum is helpful is because we pass on experiences and opinions. Heck I'll even bet there are some dissatisfied Dodge Cummins diesel owners or individuals that have heard bad things about them out there in RV land Well maybe just 1 or 2 at the most. :laugh:

DL Rupper

If anybody wants me to, I will reactivate/bring forward the FR issues thread? :approve: :eek: ;) :( :bleh: :laugh:

SnowbirdInFlight

TexasClod - 3/5/2008 2:26 PM Well, if you haven't had any problems then what could you share with them?/QUOTE]

Duh! I shared the fact that I HAVE NOT had any problems. I guess you are a little slow. You people need to get a life.

TexasClodhopper

You people? You mean you aren't like the rest of us? Well, thank the Lord for that! :laugh:

SnowbirdInFlight - 3/5/2008 4:46 PM

Duh! I shared the fact that I HAVE NOT had any problems. I guess you are a little slow. You people need to get a life.

Shadow

Hey, Lets not be dragging my Ford into this!!!!! :eek: :laugh: :bleh:

elkhartjim

There you go again Tex. Even though snowbirdinflight has already colored in our state...we still wouldn't mind him comin back and spending some money....or would we? "You people" I guess is yankee for Texan,huh!

G

RE: PLEASE HELP - OVERWHELMED

NO DL ,, NOT THE FR PAGES AGAIN :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dead: :dead:

H2H1

Now Ken lets be nice some can't afford the luxury of having a Chevy so they downsize to a Ford or worst a Dodge :laugh: :laugh: . now I know DL is going to on me for that comment : :cool: :laugh:

and saying u people--are we the bad people from the south :angry: :eek: :( :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: