Plumbing question

Can someone please explain to me, WHY, if we have "blown out" the lines and drained the low spots, you need to put anti freeze in the RV/ I know there has to be a good reason - and we do it - but hard for my thick head to understand WHY if there is no water in it! Thanks for any input.

C Nash

Most of the time you are ok with just blowing out the lines in places where the weather is not really bad. problem that I see is the possibility that some liquid may still drain into so low spot and freeze. Condensation can also happen inside the pipes over a period of time. RV antifreeze is really inexpensive so use it. Just bypass the hot water heater and no need to add to fresh tank just drain it. Plenty of room for expansion in the tank. Same in holding tanks. Also you dont get the water out of the drain traps when blowing with air so the need antifreeze in them

akjimny

TD - I take a "Belt and Suspenders" appproach to winterizing. I blow the lines clear, then add two gallons of RV antifreeze, then blow it clear again. That way I don't have to do alot of flushing in the spring to get all the RV stuff out. I pull the annode out of the hot water heater to drain it and leave it out so it can air out. I also put a couple of cups of regular Prestone antifreeze in the kitchen, bathroom and shower drains. That protects them and it won't evaporate over winter. :)