Portable Generator

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by mrt57mrk, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mrt57mrk

mrt57mrk New Member

Looking to buy a portable generator for my Travel Trailers. Can anyone tell me the minimun size generator I can get away with? Home depot has a good price on a coleman 3750 watt generator is that enough power to run my central ducted air unit? I know enough about electricity to know better than to mess with it, & that's about it!
    So any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Daniel0731

Daniel0731 New Member

Portable Generator

Good morning mrt57mrk! I'm very new to the forum myself but there are a lot of helpful folks out here. From the experiences I have had with 6 years of camping, I'd say the wattage isn't as important as amps. Most campers require a 30 amp supply...some even 50 amps. A friend of mine has a 3500 watt generator, but it is a 30 amp and it ran a 13,500 btu a/c with no problem. My father in law has a 5,500 watt generator but it will not pull his 13,500 btu a/c without tripping the breaker on the generator. I'm looking to buy a generator myself, but I'm looking at a 7,500 watt 30 amp supply. I just don't want to burn my a/c up. I've been told that they can take a burned out a/c unit and see if it was run with low amps and it will not be covered under warranty if that's the case. I guess I just like being on the safe side.

Hope this helps!
    :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Good luck!

3. Gruffy

Gruffy New Member

Portable Generator

Think about... can I pick it up... can I move it myself...is it so noisy other campers will put a contract out on me, how long will it run on a tank of gas.

4. Suljer

Suljer New Member

5. mrt57mrk

mrt57mrk New Member

Portable Generator

Thanks for all of the good input. Sorry it took me so long to find my way back here!

6. janicenlarry

janicenlarry New Member

Portable Generator

Take a good look at the Honda units. They are excellent and extremely quiet which your neighbors will appreciate :)