Portable Satelittte Internet Systems

nesral

Sorry to have to ask again but I had a hard drive crash and lost most of my data. I am very interested in finding information relative to portable satelitte internet systems. I trade stocks on the internet and would like to adapt a portable system in my motorhome. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I recently sold a Datastorm to a customer who is a full time day trader. He is now traveling throughout the western US in his motorhome and trades in the morning and drives weekends and evenings. He has four large LCD monitors connected to his system and follows his trades just as he did at home in Austin, TX. If you would like more information on stock trading via satellite with a Datastorm, email me at roger@globalsatsolutions.com or call toll free 888/236-1523

I recently sold a Datastorm to a customer who is a full time day trader. He is now traveling throughout the western US in his motorhome and trades in the morning and drives weekends and evenings. He has four large LCD monitors connected to his system and follows his trades just as he did at home in Austin, TX. If you would like more information on stock trading via satellite with a Datastorm, email me at roger@globalsatsolutions.com or call toll free 888/236-1523

lhollatz

Sorry you lost your hard drive but your question and answer are still on your July 25th posting on this web site. You even got the same answer both times.

Cryzmath

I am also interested in getting information about getting internet through satellite as I travel to and fulltime in one location (NW Washington). I don't have a dish yet, but we've subscribed to DirectTV currently at our home in Maryland. Any suggestions would be wonderful! :shy:

ralphie

Cryzmath,

This summer I've observed three Direcway dishes on RVs, two on the roofs and one on a tripod next to the RV. I spoke to the gent with the tripod and he told me it works great, but he had to be "certified" by Direcway before they would allow him to purchase the system. I think it was a one-day course.

I did not speak with the folks that owned the rooftop mount systems. But, I have been told that its a very expensive install. I am using Direcway right now from home, and I can tell you that the service is OK and the dish weighs about 65lbs. It is much bigger than the dish used by DirecTV. Supposedly, Direcway does not encourage mobile systems, but obviously there are some out there.

Cryzmath

That is interesting -- I'm glad I asked! Thanks for letting me know -- I'll hold off on that and look around for other methods! Whew! :eek: :approve:

Kirk

There is now an FCC approved way to have a tripod mounted internet dish that you move. The one listed in all of the previous posts does not have the support of the company that supplies the signal and they will not help if the customer moves it and has a problem. That support must come from the dealer! And you should be sure to read the disclaimer that goes with these dishes about what will happen if they should be shut off.

If you want to know about the only approved program that also has support of the company who supplies the internet, visit this site:http://www.starband.com/
Two of the dealers who place these units are:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~flicka15/index.html
or:
http://www.orbitalenterprises.net/faq.html#1

Gritz

From what I've read all of the portable internet dishes require the customer to be trained and be certified as an installer, even Starband. Service and support then comes from that authorized dealer who sold you the equipment. This gets the portables around the FCC requirement that only trained authorized technicans are allowed to install the portables. Not that it's that difficult, but they don't want you bouncing your transmission requests off other satellites. The following is a quote by Starband about support, "Ongoing support provided by a StarBand Authorized Manual-Flyer Dealer", who would be the person who sold you the unit. If you are careless and sloppy about setting your unit up , they have the capability of shutting your connection down and making it inoperable, therefore the need of the authorized training. Pricing for the portables seems to be competitive, with some small differences. If you want RV auto-seeking units those can get spendy for the initial equipment ($4,500) and a monthly fee, but might be worth it for a business on the go. DirecWay lists 3 dealers #1 Ground Control http://www.groundcontrol.com
1-800-773-7168
#2 MobilSat www.mobilsat.com
1-757-312-8300
#3 MotoSAT www.motosat.com

Someday when I win the lottery .... YES! :laugh:

cybercelt

I have a resource page here that might help you: http://www.usaer.com/sat_terms.htm
You do not have to use a DirecTV or DishNetwork dish for you to pickup the signal; you have a variety of choices. All you have to do is fill out some paperwork, grab a receiver from home and hit the road. If you need the forms for DirecTV or DishNetwork, please check the library page on the site.

Come back and let us know what you decided on and how it worked.

Gritz

Thanks cybercelt. Good resource for sat TV. We are researching for possibly going full time rving in the future so we have some legwork to do yet. One of my wants will be the internet ... so I'm looking at that too. :approve:

RVItasca

Checkout www.wildblue.com also There just starting up ..
also look in to sprint if your always by a interstate
some phones can be used like a modem there coverage is getting lot better ...

Kirk

I just looked over the Wild Blue site and while it may work fine for a house, it isn't going to work for a movable dish. The reason is that they use a "spot beam" technology and that means that if you move the dish out of your asgned beam, it won't work. It is the same technology that is used in the satellite TV market for the local stations. That is the reason that you can't get your local stations while you travel. But competition for Starband and DirecWay can only be a good thing.