Power Converter??

twocvsix

I have a 1998 31ft Holiday Rambler Alumalite 5th Wheel trailer. Occasionally, my interior lighting and the furnace fan, if it happens to be on, will surge, meaning that the lights will get brighter and the fan will speed up. All of the above are 12 volt powered, so I am wondering if my converter is beginning to fail. I have also monitored the voltage on my 12 volt panel when this happens. It rises from the normal 13.45 volts up to 16.8 volts. It will hold there for maybe 20 or 30 seconds and then drop back to 13.45. I should also add, that this happens when the shore cable is connected. I have new batteries on the trailer, with good connections.

Does this sound like the converter? Are these things repairable or must I purchase a new one? If so, which is the most reasonable place to buy such a thing.

Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave.

TexasClodhopper

Re: Power Converter??

It does sound like the CHARGING part of the converter. It could easily be overcharging your batteries, so check the levels in them regularly until you get something done.

C Nash

Do you have the battery minder? If not that might cure your problem. As far as prices goggle the converter.

twocvsix

Thank you both for the replies. @ Texas. I just checked the levels yesterday, and they are good, but I do take your point, and will keep a regular eye on that. The nominal voltage of the batteries seems to be 13.45 volts, which is pretty normal. @ Chelse. I do have a "Battery Minder Plus" which I connect to the batteries when my trailer is in storage, but do not leave it connected whilst the trailer is in use, with the shore line connected. It's a very small model (12117) which supplies just a trickle charge and the de-sulphating mode, but I don't think it would maintain the batteries on it's own with my trailer in daily use.

I can't think of any other reason why the 12 volt system would surge, other than a defective converter, and that increase to 16.8 volts from 13.45 represents something close to 25%, so I am just a tad concerned, and want to get it corrected sooner rather than later.

Thank you both for your help.

Dave.

Triple E

Are you saying that this only happens while you are connected to shore power?

:8ball:

twocvsix

Hi Tripple E.

That's a very good question, and worthy of serious thought on my part! I don't really know, because my shore line is plugged in all of the time. So, yes, it definitely happens when I am plugged in, but not sure if it happens when I'm not. I'll try unplugging the shore line this evening and see if the surge still happens. As I understand it, I would then be drawing directly from my batteries, so the converter would then be taken out of the picture?

Thank you for that good thought. Dave.

twocvsix

Hello again.

Just to update my previous post. The surges do not happen if my shore line is unplugged, so it kinda points to the power converter. Additionally, I emailed the folks at progressive Dynamics, who produce the Intelipower. Their service department told me to DISCONNECT IT! and go and get a new one, as that model is no longer produced and cannot be repaired. They also suggested several sources including Camping World, where the replacement unit is priced at $279.99. They also suggested Best Converters, where the price for exactly the same unit is a mere $190.00, so I guess you can guess where I'll be going!! I don't even want to tell you the price here in Canada for that same unit. Getting gouged here as usual!!

ARCHER

See if you can order it Directly from Progressive Dynamics. Might help save a little. I had one replaced by them and they mailed it directly to me, got it in three days and shipping label to return the bad unit (warranty). Good people.

twocvsix

Thanks Archer, I'll give that a try, as I haven't ordered it yet. Some Mfgs won't supply directly to the public, but if you say these guys will, I'll go that route

Dave.

twocvsix

But having said that, They didn't offer to supply the unit directly to me. But did suggest that I buy it from Camping World or Best Converters. Maybe they will only supply directly if the unit is a replacement for a warranty claim, but I'll try them anyway

Dave.