Pre-RV Questions

swbouton

We have a good tow vehicle (Dodge RAM 3500 diesel 4x4 club cab) and now we are ready to look for a 5th wheel, probably used. Max budget $25k. 80% of the time it will be just two seniors, but sometimes we weill have another couple of grandchildren and our dog (75# male boxer).

We are compiling information regarding how to check out an RV, but we have no clue as to which are good or not so good manufacturers, how many years it is safe to go back, etc. I'm sure I haven't even gotten to the point where I have most of the right questions yet.

We will camp mostly in the southeastern US since we are based in southeastern NC. We do intend to visit the west once or twice a year.

We would very much appreciate any guidance you might want to offer.

Thanks,

Steve

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Steve. How far back depends on the care it was given. I have seen near new that are juk and oldies that are still goodies because they had been cared for. Most important thing to look for is water damage IMO. If you can see water damage it will be worse than it looks. Water leakes are kind of like cancer. Most of the damage is hidden. Slides are important for me. Yes it's something else to give problems. Sit in any rv you are looking at long enough to see if its confortable. Ck all appliances for proper working. Dont forget the plumbing. If the tires are 5yr old they probably need replacing regardless of tread. Dates are stamped on tires if you know how to read them. Probably worth your time to check with Ken at GTS on what he has. He is a sponser here on RVUSA and located in Vir. Good luck and keep us posted and ask questions. Lot of good advice here.