Preserving America's Heritage - One National Park At A Time, Cape Hatteras Light Station

Shunpiker

The last day was as exciting as the first day!

Pictures and Slideshow on the Blog,,,,,There are no ads, nor will there be.

The tallest Lighthouse in the United States, the tallest Brick Lighthouse in the world.

The most famous light station known around the world.

Cape Hatteras Light Station

keithb

RE: Preserving America's Heritage - One National Park At A Time, Cape Hatteras Light Station

I love the Outer Banks and grew up (in Va.) with the lighthouse on the beach while looking south towards the point and north up the beach. I have seen the new lighthouse location once and it just doesn't have the same allure as the beach location. However, beautiful place nonetheless. :cool:

Shunpiker

RE: Preserving America's Heritage - One National Park At A Time, Cape Hatteras Light Station

keithb - 9/16/2010 2:14 PM

I love the Outer Banks and grew up (in Va.) with the lighthouse on the beach while looking south towards the point and north up the beach. I have seen the new lighthouse location once and it just doesn't have the same allure as the beach location. However, beautiful place nonetheless. :cool:

Historically, when the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was built in 1870, it was 1500 feet from the water.

It is currently 1500 feet from the water.

It it wasn't moved in 1999, it may not have been there now. The original 1803 lighthouse is currently under water about 600 feet from the 1870 location.

You may already know this, but it is still interesting history, at least to me.

You sure are correct, it is a beautiful place.

Safe and Happy Travels.