Prices going up ...

TexasClodhopper

Hey, ya'll want to hear a good one?

The unions that 'represent' the workers in the refineries (mainly the Steelworker's Union) are pretty close to striking the plants.

I know BP will just shutdown and go into maintenance mode. I know that Shell is negotiating for all of the plants, but BP has shutdown before and told the union to go ahead and strike.

These are the refineries that make gasoline, BTW.

What recession? :clown:

utmtman

Re: Prices going up ...

Yea its unfortunate and right now that is not what they really want to do with this economy. The companies can find a ton of non union workers in a heartbeat with jobless rate what it is.

H2H1

Lee I agree with you, retrain and hire. I bet there would be a lot of people standing in line wanting a job. They know spring is on it's way and they want to drive up the price of gas as stated earlier. Fire them if they strike and re hire the un employed. :laugh:

DL Rupper

This isn't in the UNIONS best interest right now. They have the new administration in their pocket. If they strike, public opinion will turn against them big time.

Many, many years ago I was a member of a hard core mining union (United Mine Workers/AFLCIO Steelworkers) at Kennecott Copper in Utah. The first thing I was told when I showed up for work was that I didn't work for Kennecott but rather I worked for the Union. Actually I really didn't have to do much work. LOL. I then went to work for Uncle Sam (AF)and became a union shop steward until I switched sides and joined management. I think UNIONS are the reason the car industry is on the skids and manufacturing jobs in the U.S. have gone offshore forever. No company wants to pay union wages for workers that won't do the work and can't be fired. JUST MY OPINION.

Drill Baby Drill :)

TexasClodhopper

I was more preparing everyone for a possible spike in gasoline prices, regardless of what is happening with the crude supplies.

I wasn't meaning to make this a dump on unions. (I personally don't think unions are the 'best' thing for our economy, although union members think they can't survive without one.)

Usually, BP will train management throughout the year to partially operate the plant during a strike. This year no management was trained. That tells the union where BP stands.

C Nash

Might know just when I dewinterized and plan to head out there goes the gas up again. I know there are other reasons than money that causes union strickes but with the economy as it is they should be thinking more of our country now. People are losing jobs left and right. Union have been a good thing but they how to much power IMO. My dad was a coal miner and started in the bottom of the mines when he was 12. Him and his Dad got 25 cents per ton of coal they loaded and worked in dangerous conditions. My Ggranddad was killed in a mine explosion in 1920 and he was 75 and still working. Yes unions helped miners get better pay and working conditions. I was in the auto business GM in the 70s when workmanship on americans cars were crap. Big wheels said they put up with terrible workers because it was not worth fighting unions to fire them. Took foreign made to wake up America but may have been to late. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: