Problem with Generator

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by sarose, Jul 14, 2009.

1. sarose

sarose New Member

Hi,
    My husband and I just purchased a 1995 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme. The motor home has 23800 miles and the generator (Generac 4500 watts) has 32 hours on it and it is in prestine condition. When we start up the generator all of the lights work fine, but when we turn on the AC or the microwave it makes the generator surge. We've checked the air filter and sparkplug and they are both good. What could be the problem? It seems like the generator isn't putting enough energy out to run the AC or microwave, but the 4500 watt capacity should be more than enought to run both.

THANKS!! :)

2. rddog8691

rddog8691 Member

Re: Problem with Generator

I am not a generator expert but what you are experiencing is normal, as far as i know when you turn on your AC or Micro it is drawing alot of power, you will porobably find that you cant use both together , I think it is just that your genset is working OT to put out enough juice. You should post this in General RVing and someone who knows more than me will give you an answer. There are alot of knowledgable people on this forum. Good Luck :)

3. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

Staci, welcome to the forum!

No need to repost it anywhere. Once is enough.

John is correct, but what do you mean by "surge?" Do you mean that it sounds like it is running faster or there is an actual 'surge' in voltage?

4. sarose

sarose New Member

RE: Problem with Generator

There is an acutal surge in power... The lights dim and the generator slows, then the lights brighten and the generator speeds up... it's a cycle. It's a 4500 watt generator so it should be able to power the microwave, right? I don't run the AC and the microwave at the same time.

5. elkhartjim

elkhartjim Senior Member

A 15 year old with only 32 hours is not necessarily a good thing. A genset needs to be "exercised" on a monthly basis. Exercise is defined in my owners manual as running the genset monthly for a least one hour at minimum of 50% load. If your genset had never been used except for this purpose it would have well over 150 hours. Like any motor, its better to run than to let set up.

BTW...I have 7.5 KW and it "surges" as loads are applied.

6. LEN

LEN Senior Member

Welcome,
    When you say surge, does it do this just once then stay at the higher speed or does it continue up and down RPM?
    If it surges up in RPM and stays there that is normal, if it keeps hunting an RPM(slowing and running higher) that is not. If your Micro and the air conditioner are on the same line the gen will not do both, if the each is on a different line then the 4500 should run both.

LEN

7. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

32 hrs doesn't sound like the generator was exercised at all. We just exercised our generator yesterday. Went to the storage and ran it with the AC turned on for load for over an hour. In 14 years we have put on 493 hrs on our Onon propane generator and over half of them are from exercising it.

8. sarose

sarose New Member

It keeps oscillating between hi and low RPM.

9. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Sounds like you may have a governor problem. Maybe a weak spring

10. LEN

LEN Senior Member

I would go with the governer also and at that point I would think a pro would have to look at it.

LEN