Propane Question

Kateglez

Hi everybody! Well, my husband got the electric rewired and it's working now. So the next thing is to get the propane tanks and get that going. Now I have question that might seem silly...but I truly need to know! Why are the propane tanks for a trailer so much more expensive than the the propane tanks we get at Home Depot for our barbecue grill? Can those be used? Is it the same propane? What is the difference. Thanks...Kate

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Propane Question

Hello there,
Propane grills use 20lb. tanks. SOME trailers use them also, but most have 30lb. If your trailer has the 20lb. size, there is no difference between tanks.

All new tanks have the OPD valve, just make sure you have too.

Kateglez

Thanks for your reply, Grandview... that did help. But I'm still wondering why the ones made specifically for trailers cost so much more. Are they more durable for traveling? My grill propane tank costs around $20. The ones I am seeing online are $79 and up. My trailer didn't have any tanks when I got it so I will have to buy some...and I just want to be sure I get the right thing. I have a 1975 Red Dale. Kate~

lasoyatang

not really sure but I think it has to do with weight the home depot ones are heavier, I use 2 tanks i bought at walmart

Grandview Trailer Sa

They are the same. Grill tanks are 20lb. $20.00 sounds like that is a swap out price.

To buy one, 30lb tanks usually start selling around $65.00. To buy a 20lb tank, it should be $45.00-$50.00.

Kateglez

Ohhh I see...of course...duh... I was looking at the swap out price and not outright buying the tanks. Thanks so much for your help! Kate~