Purchasing an RV?

stktrader

I am interested in buying a Winnebago View. It is just my wife and daughter and I have found from renting that longer is not better. Better use of space design is superior. I am in San Diego and the local dealer is Giant RV. Did most of you pay to find the dealer cost before you went in to buy, and can you trust the numbers you received. How did you go about making the purchase? Even though things are slow in various parts of the economy is this true about the RV industry especially during the travel season? tia

C Nash

Re: Purchasing an RV?

Greg, welcome to the forum. Some dealers you might can rely on what they tell you but I cannot say about Giant. Maybe some others here may have dealt with them. Shoot for 30% off what ever they ask. Decide what you are willing to give. Check other dealers on same rv. Might pay to ck online but if the dealer is near you and they offer good service that is worth a lot. With the economy in sad shape now should be a buyer marked. Good luck

Kirk

Greg,

It is very difficult to determine what a dealer has paid for an RV. If you locate some way to determine that, you will have made a discovery that I have not learned in more than 30 years of RV ownership and numerous trades of them. Since no two RVs are built exactly the same configuration, and there are far fewer dealers for each manufacturer, and even though each RV is shipped with a sheet listing the MSRP like cars have, there is no requirement that the dealer ever show it to the customer. Some do, but others make up their own and inflate the prices.

It is true that sales have been quite slow in the RV industry and that better than usual deals are out there, that is no guarantee that you will get one, unless you take the time to learn what a good deal is. There is no easy way to do that. It will require a lot of time and effort and you will have to do the research. You need to make an accurate list of every option on each unit that you look at to compare to the next and so to know that they are the same. There are many ways to cut corners so knowledge is vital.

I suggest that you start with a visit to the Winnebago website and locate as many dealers as you can reasonably visit and then start traveling to them, leaving the check book at home. Remember that Itasca is actually a slightly modified Winnebago and is made on the same assembly line so that will expand the number of places to compare prices. If the dealer shows you a factory supplied MSRP, then 30% below that suggested price is a reasonable purchase price. To say that 30% below the sales person's first offer is right depends upon what that offer may be.

Remember that there is very little difference between those who sell RVs and those who sell cars. Commissioned sales is designed to reward people for getting the most money from the least expensive item. Honesty is there, but it isn't common. If you but without first learning the RV which you are purchasing, you will be taking a very large risk. One thing that my experience has taught me is to never buy an RV on the first visit to the dealer and to never trust the sales person that I deal with.

All promises by sales people must be in writing and signed by a manager. Verbal ones have no value at all and mean nothing. Not every sale person is a thief, but the most talented ones are the thieves who can convince you that they are trustworthy!

Go very slow and do not allow anyone to rush you into any purchase.

stktrader

Thanks Kirk,
That 30% off sticker seems to float around the web. I will follow your lead.

JW07

RE: Purchasing an RV?

Kirk:

Not familar with Grant RV but beware of the tactics that dealers employ to keep the clients at the dealership. We purchased an RV last year from a local dealer and to this day I believe we were snookered but can't prove it!

Car dealers are great for taking your driver licences so they can make a copy of it but never returning it until after you sign the sales contract. While you're haggling with the salesman, the sales manager has taken the info off of your DL and ran a quick credit check on you without your knowledge. This allows them to see how your credit is and just how much you can afford. To combat this make your own copies without your S/S on the copy so they cann't run a credit check. This allows you the flexability to leave if the negotiations aren't going in your favor. We have had two different dealers use the DL ploy and keeping the trade in keys. Some dealers enlist the "Good Cop" - "Bad Cop" tactic whereby the sales manager always has the last word!!!!!!

As one of the previous e-mailers mentioned, always get the necessary repairs in writing before you sign the contract because after you drive the unit off of their lot, their memeory cells are reset to zero. Also, remember that extended warranty programs are nice to have but they are the highest profitable item that a dealers has! I have seen other warranty programs outside of the dealers for less money and almost the same coverage.

Insurance programs are in the same catagory for the dealer as extended warrany programs, very profitable! Most insurance carriers have RV insurance programs at less cost! I have one through AARP that includes towing and road services and is part of my auto insurance coverage!

In today's market, fair prices are anyone's guess but I cann't understand how a dealer can advertise a unit one day for $93,000 and then two weeks later advertise the same unit for $30,000 less. Spend time on the internet and check out the dealer prices, it may be worth while!

Oh, my the way, we bought a 2006 Coachman Mirada 290KS which is a 31 ft Class A with one slide on a Ford chassis and love it! Good luck on your new adventure and welcome to the forum!

JW07

:cool:

Grandview Trailer Sa

JW07
Sounds to me that you don't trust dealers as a whole.

As far as copying a Drivers License: I am required by law to do so, since the Patriot Act. I have to give that copy to DMV as we register and license the trailer. Here in VA, our licenses do not have SS numbers on them. They used to, but I took mine off many years ago, and VA removed them a couple of years ago. They are "T" numbers and there is no way I can check credit.

As far as insurance: We offer RV insurance that offers everything from a 5 year replacement to 24 hour road side assistance and comp. and collision. We make a whopping $10.00 for each contract. That is it, $10.00. If you don't think AARP is making money, dream on.

I totally agree that you should get all things in writing, but some trust has to be there too. I hope your next transaction at a dealership leaves you with better feelings.

C Nash

Gregg, as Kirk has said knowledge is the best thing you can have going for you when you are purchasing anything. There are dealers that are honest and we have several here that i would have no problem dealing with and even taking their word on some things but if you don't know the dealer/salesperson you have to look out for yourself. Get it in writing. Dealers and salespeople aer just like all us they have to earn a living so it's up to you the customer to try for the best deal possible. take your time and do your footwork, go to shows, read the forums, listen to some advice but sift through it careful. Remember forums are opinions but with loads of free great advice and we are lucky here to have dealers and those that work on them giving advice FREE.