Question about converter

SMITH619

While getting Montana 5th wheel ready for first trip of year noticed that camper had lost power while plugged in and was running off battery, after many hours of checking found loose allen screw on one of wires coming out of converter. Also found water had cooked out of battery due to charging and discharging. Replaced battery, and tightened all connections I could find. Was recently in Myrtle Beach SC. for 2 weeks and the DC lights were dimming and brightening while plugged in and the fan on the converter was going on and off in time with the dimming lights. When we were getting ready to leave and pull the slides in they would not opperate, I turned off the A/C and the slides came in fine. I also noticed that while camping the battery lights ranged from full to half at various times. If anyone can help I have 2 questions.

1. I am planning on replacing the converter, curious if this should handle problem or if something else involved?

2. The camper has a 55 amp converter, would it be a good idea to replace with same or higher Amp.

Thanks for any advice
Stewart