Question Re: RV fridge

I have "heard" that a RV must ALWAYS be level when parked. Ours is NOT - it is slightly OFF but it is just parked. We do not have the fridge running. Will this affect the fridge? We cannot park it anywhere else right now and our driveway has a slight uphill slant. Also, husband does NOT like to keep the hydraulic levelers down for long periods of
time as he says they will get "stuck". Is this possible??

akjimny

A lot depends on the fridge. My driveway has a slope, about 18 inches over 20 feet, and my fridge works fine on both gas and electric. As for the hydraulic levelers, how long is "long?" I don't foresee them getting stuck unless you left them down for years or live in a really harsh environment, such as right on the seashore. :):)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, a lot depends on the location of the fridge in the Motorhome. Sideways level should be within 3 or 4 degrees. Front to back can be off more than that. That is because of the design of the pipes in the cooling unit. An RV with the fridge in the rear can be off level quite a bit, front to back...but the same fridge in the side wall of an RV could not work as well.

Newer fridges do not have to be as level as older ones. Back in the 70's and 80's, they had to be darn near perfect. I remember my Uncle leveling his trailer at the fridge....

I agree with Jim on the jacks. They should not get stuck down under normal conditions.

Thank you both so much! When I said "long", I guess I was thinking 4-5 months. We live in the Chicago area and of course, there will be a lot of snow but no salt air. I'm going out with the leveler to see just how "off" we are as far as level. Thanks again!

Pancanbob

Hi,
You could put leveling block under the tires on the lower side, then you would have it RV level and you jacks would be up.
You should use a lubricant on the jack, but only use a dry lubricant like silicon, so dirt or dust will not stick to the jacks and damage the seals when retracted
Hope this helps