R.V Park Info

scimedted

We are planning a trip to the Outer Banks and camping at Camp Hatteras. Looking for anybody who has stayed there and what they thought of the camp ground. I also wish everyone a great time at the Meet And Greet in Oct.

vanole

RE: R.V Park Info

Its not bad when are you planning to go? Not too much of a trip for us here in Va Beach however in the summer time traffic is a killer this time of year not bad. If you have any specific questions feel free to fire away.

Jeff

scimedted

Will be picking up new camper last of Oct. in Fla. and planning on the Outer Banks last of Nov. We are just looking for a nice campground close to the lighthouse and shops for the wife. Also a little fishing time for me.

PattiRon

Re: R.V Park Info

We lived there for 10 years, Kitty Hawk. This time of year is perfect, unless you hit this cold snap. The water is still warm and the fishing is great. My brother in law fishes there as late as Thanksgiving. Not sure where u r from, but total OBX trip is great experience. And, if u r going that far, suggest u take the time for leisurely trip to Ocracoke. Howard's Pub has good food and many beers on tap. Enjoy. Oh, and if u r entering from the north end and have kids, stop at Jockeys Ridge for an hour to wear them out with sand dune climbing

chief4-1

scimedted. We just got back from the Outer Banks. Stayed at Camp Hatterass in Waves. It was our first time there. The campground was spotless, wide open and hardly anyone there. No traffic problems at all last week. The management could not have been more accomodating. We arrived a day early and they made arrangements for us to be in a better campsite and did not have to move. We will stay there again I am sure.

We stayed on the ocean side, I think the Sound side is much nicer and you can see the water from your RV.

scimedted

Chief-1 and PattiRon thanks for all the info on the camp ground and the pub with the food and beer. We will be heading there end of month then south to Mrytle Beach for holiday shopping.

PattiRon

Re: R.V Park Info

OK, this is weird I know. I lived in Myrtle Beach for a time as well. Don't miss the Carolina Theatre Show. Unknowns put on a great show. Also Jose Feliciano (sp?) had a theatre there a few years back and he had a terrific show. Alabama also has a theatre in North Myrtle Beach, but they are seldom on hand but worth checking out. If you love golf, there are over 100 courses. Check around for pricing as they are all good. Murrels Inlet has the best non national chain seafood if they are still open this time of year. Its the old style seafood shacks.

Just as you get to North Myrtle Beach on Hiway 17 there is an excellent state rest stop with great pamphlets.

Back to Outerbanks....as you come onto the Outerbanks from north or south there is a state rest stop with great pamphlets on your right....if entering from south its at end of the long bridge....if you enter from north its less than a mile after bridge and just after Home Depot, that driveway is easy to miss...just before the stop light in the curve.

If you intend to go as far south as Cape Hatteras, you may as well make the trip through Ocracoke by the neat ferry, free (feed the seagulls bread) from Ocracoke you can take the ferry, free, to points south and end up in Jacksonville to catch 17 south. Otherwise you will need to backtrack to 64 west until you catch 17 south near Williamston. Both trips are monotonous and take you through spooky swamp land. Make either a day trip. Otherwise you'd have to go all of the way around to Elizabeth City to catch 17 south, way out of your way. 64 west has black bears and only 1 gas station and no where to pull off, thus I only drove it once at night. That was enough for me. You'll actually save time and fuel by taking the ferry route. Best place to eat between Cape Hatteras and Myrtle Beach will be I think its Western Sizzlin Steak House in Jacksonville, a family style place. Oh and if you want a burger and beer on Ocracoke Island...Howard's Pub. That about does it. Have Fun. Ron