re motorhome purchasing

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by kojak, Mar 26, 2007.

1. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi Guy's,could someone help,I am currently looking to purchase A class gas motorhome aprox 32 to 35 ft,the only trouble we have here in Australia,we are only aloud a 60% of wheel base for the rear overhang,also maximum 98.5" in width,we also must have a drivers door,when a tag axle is fitted measurement of wheel base is taken from centre of both rear wheels,also we are only aloud to import no later than January 1989,otherwise we have to own it overseas and usage for 12 months,
    we would really love a diesel puller if any are around,that come into these measurements,if any one can help with this info,we would be most appreciated.
    If we can come up with the motohome we will come over and arrange for shipping to Australia.

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Re: re motorhome purchasing

Most diesel RVs are 'pushers' (engine in the back). A while back I heard that someone was introducing a front engine diesel, but have not heard anything about it recently.

Why do you need a driver's door, is it a legal requirement? Most driver's doors I've seen require a gymnist to use, and I don't recall seeing one on a diesel, only on gas models.

3. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi John,Thanks for you interest,I have seen some front Diesel engine most are 6.2/6.5 chev's,as far as drivers door rules our police dept need an exit on l/hand side either in front or @ rear,we also have to change the electrical system as we have to be approved before we can plug into outlets in camp grounds as we are 240 volts.Regards Gary

4. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Most of the Motor Homes with front Diesel engines in the US are considered Class C's. They have a mid to large truck cab coupled to a Class C chassis. They may fit your measurements and requirement for a front driver door.

5. hertig

hertig Senior Member

DL is right, sounds like a class C (particularly a 'truck conversion') would be your best bet. There is another recent thread in here which provides links to a bunch of these.

Rewiring sounds like it would be a challange. Even more annoying, wouldn't you have to replace all the electrical gizmos in the RV (anything which runs on 120 volts, which would be the converter/inverter, the AC unit(s), fridge, microwave, possibly the water heater element, entertainment centers)? How is this economically feasable?

Perhaps you can find a manufacturer who will custom build one to your electrical needs.

Of course, then you wouldn't be able to use it in this country :)

6. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi DL & Hertag,The m/homes i have seen on Rv Sites have had an engine swap to diesel,maybe this is the way we may have to go,purchase a gas and convert to diesel,as far as electrical conversion they say to keep the 110 volts system and run new 240 volts to suit fridges/kitchen area/entertaning areas so that when the appliance dies make the change over then,of cource we would have to change the TV's etc straight away ,dont know about the roof air's if they run on 12volts also,my electricion says its no trouble,think i will leave it up to him,all i have to do is find a m/home with measurements to suit us ,Buy for now Kojak