reading the acid level

H2H1

I don't remember what it is called , but it measure the acid level and if the battery is good. So I bought a battery tester and here is what I found. Now I have 2 batteries in my MH, The first battery all 4 balls floated to the top indicating it is fully charged. The second battery , the first cell all 4 balls floated to the top, second cell only 1 floated and the last cell all 4 balls floated. Now does show I need to replace the battery, if it does that means I will replace both. I called the local battery shop and they said I needed to replace it.I asked if I could add acid to the cell to bring it up to the correct reading, the response was no, I need new batteries. any comments would be helpful, thanks

G

RE: reading the acid level

Hollis it is called a hydrometer ,, and yes if u have one cell showing low ,, then that means u have a shorted cell ,, what causes that is ,, sulfation ,, and the lead pieces ,, inside the battery break ,,, and fall into each other ,, instead of have 2 or three columns of lead ,,, u now have one ,,, not a good thing ,, but i know u replaced u'r enigine battery ,, was that the one showing bad??? or was it u'r house battery??? :) :approve:

C Nash

Re: reading the acid level

I was assuming that you have two house batteries Hollis and if so you would need to replace both if one is bad. I got the very same problem but will replace both later. Are yours 6 or 12 volt? Mine are 6 but may replace with 12 volt because we don't boondock often anyway. With the one low cell ours want last long at all.

H2H1

yes Rod that is what it is called. forgot it. anyway it is one of the house batteries, dang just can't get ahead on this battery thing, first the engine battery had to be replaced now the house batteries. these are only 3 years old I had the dealer to put them in when I bought the MH. They are interstate workhorse batteries. Oh wel part of owning a MH I guess.

G

hey hollis ,, get GTS to warranty them for u :eek: :laugh: :laugh:
If not i will ,,, i carry interstate also ,, but the prorate on them ,, might not be as much as u think ,, but never know :approve: :approve: :)