Ready to go !

Furter69

Hello Everyone !

Just wanted to let you all know how much all your info has helped me on my decisions over the last 2 months. You really don't know how grateful we are that you take the time to help new RVers make a smart decision.

My wife and I just purchased our first 5th wheel ( 2006 Jayco Eagle 281 RL ) and can't wait to get going. I will be pulling it with an F250 SD SB and will be having an Reese 18,000 Slider installed in the back. Since this is our first RV we decided it was in our best interest to purchase a used one instead of new.

One question I have is does anyone have any problem with ordering a hitch and having your local garage install it. RV dealership seemed a little high on the price with installation and I saved about 600.00 doing it this way. Please let me know what you think.

Also any other info you may have or concerns I should be aware of concerning warranties and insurances would be appreciated.

Thanks for everything and see you on the road !

Frank

Steve H

RE: Ready to go !

Hello! And...welcome to the forums!

I am sure you will have many hours of fun and adventure with your new Jayco! I understand they are great rigs! We are basically new to RVing too! Only a couple of years now. When we bought our Springdale, the hitch,brake controller and installationwereallpart of the package. I am sure the dealer probably "factored" it in but I thought the total price was quite fair. I know our local RV Service Center seems to be a little less expensive than the "big guys" down south (Seattle area) when it comes to maintenance items like brakes, appliances etc.

For insurance we got a great rate through our auto insurance. I hear this is not necessarily the best coverage especially when considering the "contents" (Television etc) of your RV but ours is not too bad.

I don't think the "extended warranty" thing is worth the money so I opted out of that.

Sorry I was not much help but don't worry...others will be along soon! Best of luck with your camping adventures!

C Nash

Re: Ready to go !

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rv Frank. I installed my hitch myself when we had a 5th wheel and it really is no big deal. As long as the person installing the hitch follows the correct installation instructions you should have no problem. Just make sure it is installed in the proper position. good luck and keep us posted

Furter69

Thanks guys for the info. My mechanic is very particular when it comes to installations. Does everyone recomend installing the electric in the box of the truck or just purchase the extension ?

Thanks,
Frank

iowarvr

RE: Ready to go !

:) Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. We have a 2004, 33' 5th Wheel Jayco Toyhauler at present. It is at the dealership for some warranty work. We love it, but are looking at an 08' Recon. We haul a full dresser Harley and would like the separate garage and also the two sliders. Our dealership (Des Moines RV) has been great. The service time was a bit slower than we would have liked, but due to some understaffing and reorganization it has gotten a lot better. They are always glad to see you and we have called or emailed from the road when a problem has arisen that we wanted them to know about before our return home. They don't give us any put-offs or excuses, just tell us to bring it in and they'll take care of it. We bought the unit when it was a year old and were able to transfer the remaining one year of the warranty, which was a Godsend since we did have a couple of major problems (which they took care of). We had a floor break problem under the rear tire of the bike.

I think you will love your Jayco and the service that this manufacturer supplies. We are going to Sturgis in August then on to Yellowstone. We toured souther U.S. last October and now are itching to get on the road again. Happy haulin'
Claudia

Furter69

Claudia,
I know you will have a great time in Sturgis. It is an awesome area. Did the Badlands and down through the Rockies to Denver a few years back. Wonderful trip.

Have fun,

Frank