Really has nothing to do with motor homes

LEN

Well maybe it does, seeing GM is involved to save the company.
The 300-pound prototype runs on a lithium-ion battery and uses Segway's characteristic two-wheel balancing technology, along with dual electric motors. It's designed to reach speeds of up to 35 miles-per-hour and can run 35 miles on a single charge.
Can't you just see this thing going down the road 35 and has an emergency stop right on its nose.
Now lets take it one step further since a Segway's base price is like $5000, now add GM's R&D and we see a piece of crap for $25000. Good use of money. But we can't import a car from Europe that exits now for $10000. That will go near the hiway speed limit and has a useful range. Why doesn't GM just buy that company out with our bailout $$$$.
Now let's get rid of the diesel, get those motor homes on 2 wheels and have a balanced retirement. Be able to drive, oh, 20-30 miles on a charge. Then sleep well balanced at Walmart.
Does some of this crap seem crazy or is it just me getting old and tired of pay too much for too little and then paying others bill too!!!!

LEN

JimE

RE: Really has nothing to do with motor homes

I saw this in the news this morning and thought GM had lost their collective minds!!

*scooter*

Re: Really has nothing to do with motor homes

It makes me see red when you hear and see what the heck is going on. It seems like there are so many choices that would be better, yet they continually make the most stupid decisions...jmo.

C Nash

and we wonder why they are in trouble well, maybe some wonder :eek:

WildWillyToo

Well, ya know.......
Are you not the same people who want alternatives available to reduce our dependence on foriegn oil, want cleaner air to breath, want products made in USA and not other countries with questionable quality controls, want americans to have jobs so they don't suck off us for welfare and other public assistance?
Money spent on research and development is not wasted money. I'm not a big fan of the bailout or GM. However, a manufacturing facility like GM's makes perfect sense to have manufacture something like Segway's new gizmo. They have the equipment and the technology to tool-up for a new endeavor. The product, as it has been presented, may not be perfect, but it could lead to something more feasible. It will also help keep jobs and money within the US.

Don't be too quick to discount the potential here!

LEN

Well, ya know.......
When the auto workers make the same wage as the rest of us then I MIGHT think along your lines. And as far as R&D one must use some common sense in what might be acceptable conveyance. We are dependant on foriegn oil only because the turkeys in DC want it that way and too busy sucking up the $$$$$$$$ from the tax payer. JMO

LEN

TexasClodhopper

Won't the taxi drivers have a field day bumping these things and watching them tip over forward!