Rear View Camera Installation...Need Help!!

Pillaz

Re: Rear View Camera Installation...Need Help!!

I use my 13yr old son to help back me in. He stays in my mirror and gives me good hand signals. The DW can't watch me back up.. She closes her eyes. Besides if I yell at him he gets over it.. It saves trouble with the DW :) I will be towing my bro's Pop up to Rehoboth beach DE so that he can tow his boat. I will post some new pics when I get back from Rehoboth. Can't wait to get to the beach!

RvRover

RE: Rear View Camera Installation...Need Help!!

I would suggest you go with one of the wireless systems where you don't have to mess with wiring your camera up through out your rig. Since its only going to be a few feet away you should get great reception with it. Just remember, almost all of these cameras are all but useless after dark.

ironart

Just an update....I got the new refrigerator installed (what a job that was------shouldn't have been but needed help to get the old unit out and the new one in) Old age is really setting in..!!!
I have the monitor installed, after a few modifications to the dash panel and now am ready to install the camera and wiring....Possible today....

Thanks again for all of your comments...

Paul

:)

ironart

I am making progress..!!! I drilled holes today.. I removed the center marker to determine what was behind the rear cap and it was wide open..Thank You Lord..!!
I removed the left marker light and was able to drop a weight down the left side of the rear cap all the way to the rear compartment (tire carrier).
I then slipped an old fishing pole from the center marker light to the left marker light and I could see it in there with a flashlight. About this time I ran out of light and have to delay the actual wire fishing till tomorrow. i am going to mount the camera just below the center marker...There is lots of room and it will look good there.....

Will keep you posted.. :) :)

Paul

ironart

Hi Pillaz,
I am still over a week away from any trips....Just discovered today that I need new front shocks and a couple of rubber bushings for the front stabilizer bar. Boy they are sure not giving away shocks for the larger coaches.... Ford F53 shocks cost me more than $80.00 ea. I guess I really needed them...The right one had lost the rubber bushing that holds the shock to the frame and it was just banging against the bolt.....Not Good....

My first trip will be to the BEACH..!! There is a little section of beach where you can drive your MH right next to the beach (still on the road) and park there overnight (No Charge)... The spot is up near Carpenteria, almost to Santa Barbara....Gets a little windy at times but great fun for the dogs. Will try to get some pictures and post them to an Album.....

Thanks again for all your help....

Paul

ironart

Well.....Here is the final update...

I finally finished yesterday....I must say that it was a bigger job that I thought it was going to be...!!! :eek: :eek:
I was able to fish the video cables from the top of the rear cap to the bottom without too much trouble....Removed the marker lights and used an old fishing pole with a string tied to the end and a bent coat hanger to catch the string....Worked great. I then had to snake the wires through 2 compartments at the rear of the coach. Shouldn't be too much trouble....right??? Well the end fitting was larger than my largest drill bit so I had to go buy a 3/4" step drill to drill the holes through the metal compartment sides. That was $38.00. :( :(
Now you have to understand that I am not a young man and crawling under that coach to run the cable was no easy task for me....I did a little at a time and then rested and did a little more....It took 2 days to get it from the back to the front....One good thing is that I discovered several little things while under there that I fixed along the way. Finally got it to the front and pluged in to the monitor and Wa-La....It worked..!!! I even had the wife go out and stand in back of the coach and I could actually see her back there.....That was Great'' :) :) :) :)

All in all, I am very happy with the installation.. although, if I had to do it again, I would have some help and do more directing and less crawling.....

Thanks again for all of your support... Too all of you who are thinking of doing this.....I am very pleased with the results and the rear view is GREAT !! :cool: :cool:

Thanks again,

Paul

C Nash

Glad you got it going paul. :approve: You will like being able to see what's going on back there. :)

ironart

Hi Chelse,
Oh I really do like it.....I discovered that I needed new shocks during the installation and went to get them installed yesterday....Had to back out of my curvy drive and go downtown to the mechanic....I was pleased I didn't have to have the wife guide me..I could actually see what was back there myself, without help.....

By the way...I installed Blistien, air shocks on the front of the coach.....What a difference.....Those shocks are GREAT.....

Thanks again for all of your help and advice......Would love to meet up with some of you guys in the future...

Paul

C Nash

Hope we will get to head back out that way before long Paul. We made it to Joshua park before having to turn back this spring. Great choice on the Blisteins.

ironart

Don't know which way you come but if you come by way of the 15 FRY from Los Vegas to LA then you will drive right by my place.....Let me know and I will have some stakes on the Bar-B.....You can even stay here for a few days....No Charge..!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Have 30Amps and you can dump your Gray....Can't help with the Black. :( :( Love to see ya

Paul

DARLING

Paul
Congrats on you doing the wiring for the back up camera & the fridge yourself.....
1st YOU got to inspect the underside for any problems. If someone helped you they might not have noticed it.
2nd You now have the personal knowledge so if someone need advise you have been there.

You will be an asset to our forum family.

Darlin

G

Agreed Darlin ,, but can i add this for Paul ,,, i use speedo cable to fish wires thru stuff ,, i bends anyway it can ,, and it don't get caught on much ,, and u can buy it any length u might need ,, Napa has it by the roll ,, but great job on u'r installs ,,, i need a Tech ,, and since u have done the kinda stuff i do ,,, ur; hired ,,, be at my place @ 6am Monday Morning ,,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :approve: :evil: :evil:

ironart

Thanks Rod,
I could use some extra money right about now....Wife is beginning to notice how much I am spending on this coach and we haven't even had it out yet.....Not Good
Problem is, at my age I have probably forgot more than most of these kids know but it's getting fuzzier by the day and stuff I used to be able to do in a few hours is now taking me a few days.......Besides.....I'm just getting my best sleep at 6am.....How about 10am instead..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the tip on the spedo cable....Never thought of that....It just hard to be up on a ladder 10 feet in the air on a windy day and the distance between to and frow is longer that your arms can reach and wife is afraid of heights so you improvise.....sorry to loose a good fishing pole but I have others.... :( :) :) :) :)

G

well ok ,, but i must warn u i do (well did have) a 24/7 callout ,,, but that is in limbo for now ,,,, but like i said good for u doing the job on u;r wiring ,,, somtimes it takes a personal touch to do the stuff ,, and u feel more gradified by doing u'r self
:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown: :evil:
Oops forgot ,, these new techs now ,, don't know sqaut ,, or they can read a book and see how it's done ,,, but IMO they are all test passer's ,, i other words they can pass all the rv certification test ,,, but can't put them to use in the field ,, very sad ,,, and then they only want to work 8 hrs a day ,,,, :eek: :eek: :eek: ,, in this business ,, somtimes u work 12-14 hrs ,,, and a few i have worked all night on ,,, was due to health reasons and other thingys ,,, :approve:

hamdave

Welcome, I like to shoot also, but am not in to single-action. as far as the wires go, depends on what era your rig is. On mine, I simply came in under the lic-plate in the back, ran the cable around and through all the interior floor covers (had to remove them to gain access), up to the front. Removed the left plastic panel that covered the joined are of the front cap and the main body and put in the new cables there. replace the covers and away we go. Took about half a day to do it all, but when you're retired every day is Sat.

cheers

hamdave

Hi Hi Tex, saw a good one last weekend. A 5er was coming in next to us. A nice fellow got out and his wife got in the driver seat. He claimed he drives 50kmi forward and she does two mi backward. She could back the rig into place, he could not. We decided she was the better driver !! He took the ribbing in stride.

cheers