Rear View Cameras

akjimny

Question 1 - Are they worth it?

It would be nice to see what the toad (is that the proper term?) is doing back there, but Wow!!, the price.

Question 2 - Wireless or hard wired?

None of the info I have found on-line as told me how the wireless ones are powered.

Question 3 - How big a monitor?

My usual default setting is "More is Better", but then again Wow!!, the price.

Thanks in advance.

Triple E

Re: Rear View Cameras

I highly recommend a back-up camera. Not only for sight but also for sound. Wireless? I have not been around a wireless. Is it hard wired 12 V or battery powered?

:8ball:

C Nash

James, I would not go w/o the rear monitor and sound. Might want to ck walmart they have monitors that you might rig up. Just a thought

akjimny

Thanks for the input. I looked some more on line and found cameras with sound. I still can't figure out why you would need sound, though. Isn't looking and seeing good enough? Looks like this isn't going to be a cheap fix either.

ps: I bought the two 6 volt golf cart batteries yesterday. Now I need to rework the battery box so they'll fit.

Triple E

When backing up you can hear what is going on behind you. If a person is trying to spot for you, you can hear them without them having to yell. Sometimes you hear thing you don't want to hear. :laugh:

:8ball:

H2H1

Well James I have a back up camera with sound. You stated you could not under stand why sound. Well if you was backing up with a spotter, like your wife she can tell you to stop , go right or left. I love mine and it is on when the motor is started. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Sound can alert you to things gone wrong while going down the road. Like maybe your toad has come loose and sound alerts you first. Don't ask how I know this :eek:

akjimny

OK - sound it is. I was just going to stick the wife back there with a walkie-talkie if I needed a spotter. Then, hopefully, I wouldn't run over her in her wheelchair. But I'm sure she'd let me know if I was getting close. But sound does seem to be the way to go.

Thanks to all.

H2H1

Well that would be real bad if you did that. I know I would not want to camp if my better half wasn't there with me. I had the walkie talkie also , but I could not her her on them but the speaker picks up the sound great, we don't use the WT anymore. matter of fact gave them away to the GKs to play with.

brodavid

I use to tell MSJ to back up untill she heard the sound of glass breaking, that got very costly in repairs, :) :)

smilinjohn

I recently purchased the TVIEW Model RV725C for $98.95 delivered, its to be hard-wired into my 12V system. I plan to wire the camera to the inside of the rear window of our TT for weather protection, while the 7" diagonal color monitor attaches to either the rear-view mirror (illegal in Minnesota) or sand-bag-mounts on dash (like GPS monitor). The kit comes complete with all wiring and RCA connectors. Yes, closed circuit TV to monitor what is behind the TT while traveling and backing up, too.

Purchased from www.audiosavings.com
Cust. Serv. # 646-432-4971

Reference: www.tview.us
Mfg./Imported: (Yes, of course.....China)
Universal Electronics, Inc.
5721 Savoy Street
Houston, TX 77036
800-559-6580
832-251-2000

:) John

topdownman

Sound or no sound? My motorhome is a 95 so I don't have sound on mine. But, if you're wife is behind the motorhome guiding you and yelling, why do you need the camera in the first place? ;) I really don't want to hear my wife yelling at me. :)