Reese Kwik Slide 16K

3Nails

Just purchased "new to me" Reese Kwik Slide 16K (manual adjustment). It is installed in a F350 crew cab dually long bed. My fifth wheel has plenty of room from the cab, even at really severe angles. I have no plans of using the slide option (just got a really good deal on an up grade hitch). I would like to remove the slide handle that controls the lock / unlock of the slide. Can I do that and the hitch still stay engaged in the lock position?

3Nails

I checked the slide and the handle appears to be the shaft. It is a 1/2 square tube that, when the handle turns, engages / disengages the locking mechanism. It is a two piece unit that connects in the middle (directly below the king pen) and held into place with two cotter pens. Remove the two cotter pens and the two pieces slide out either side, one piece being the handle. If I need to leave the shaft in, it appears the only option to remove the handle is to saw off the handle and rig up some kind of splice to make it work if I need it. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

3Nails

Thanks a lot for the info. Should work great. Only problem is I have to remove the entire hitch to get the bar / handle out since it is connected in the middle and can only come out of the sides and there is not enough clearance between the hitch and fender wells to remove them while the hitch is in the rails. I assume that everything should stay locked if I take out the hitch to remove the handle... is that correct? Again...thanks for the help.

3Nails

That would be way too easy....I need a project. Thanks for your help. Great place to view and get ideas / help.