Refrigerator

deniloo

Our refrigerator went last weekend while we were camping. We noticed a green fluid when we took the outside vent off and when we turned the frige off there was a horrible smell of ammonia. So my question is.....do we order a new one and try to replace it ourselves, or do we just replace the cooling unit? And if we take it somewhere....where do we take it? The few dealers we have in the immediate area don't have very good reputations. How about Campers World? They are about an hour away? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C Nash

Re: Refrigerator

Sorry to hear of your problem Dennis. I would order a new one and replace myself. JMO The price of the cooling unit plus labor will be almost what you will pay for a new unit. Price it both ways to find out. Good luck

H2H1

Hi Dennis, I would do as Nash suggested get a new one and put it in yourself. But that will all depend if you are physically able to do it. If not I would shop around and find someone/somewhere who can do it for you. I have heard that CW will rip you off. So if that is where you go, be sure get all estimates in writing and no work to be done unless they get your approval. All so I heard they gave a man a price to put on a new awning, but they did not tell him they was going to charge him to take it off. This guy paid to take it off and to install plus for the new awning. DAMN RIP OFF. Always get it in writing as what the total cost is going to be. Good luck

akjimny

Dennis, it all depends on how old the old fridge is. They have made some pretty good improvements recently and JMO it would be better to replace the whole thing rather than just the cooling unit. Again JMO.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Cooling unit...about $800.00 with one year warranty. Still have old cabinet and controls. New Refer.....about $1,200. TWO year warranty, everything new.

H2H1

now that is a professional speaking on a replacement. Take his word he would know

Blueeyes

After reading this post, I begin to wonder about my refrig. It has been used for 12 years & we have never done anything to it except crank it every week to keep it running. Is there any maintenance we should be doing to it? Thanks!

deniloo

RE: Refrigerator

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think we are going with replacing the refrigerator and installing it ourselves. My husband assures me it can be done and he is a pretty handy guy so should be good.In the summerour 5th wheel staysplugged in at home when not camping. We don't empty the fridge, just keepit running. We figured we got alot of use out of it for the last 5 years. Ordering the fridge Monday and will take a week to get here so I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again......

Grandview Trailer Sa

A WEEK? I could get you one quicker than that!! But good choice, in getting a new one. Just make sure your ordering one the exact replacement size. Over the years sizes have changed some. I have a chart that tells me the repacement model for an older one.

try2findus

deniloo: We have made purchases from Ken at Grandview Trailer Sales and have been COMPLETELY satisfied.

Our orders were received faster than we ever expected and if you need help, Ken is a phone call or a post away.

G

very true ken ,, and what about when they don't have shore power ,, bet it don't work on LP ,,, huh?? ;) ;) :approve: :approve: