Repairing Slide Topper

Glenn NK

The slide topper on my MH has split lengthwise near the inner end (about four inches from the body).

It appears that the area usually exposed to sunlight has deteriorated somewhat (it has no aluminum cover as does the awning).

Since the topper seems to have more length in the fabric than is needed for the slide (there are a few wraps left when the slide is out), I thought I could cut away the part that has deteriorated due to UV exposure, form a new "loop" for the small plastic rod that keeps the fabric in the moulding on the MH body, and be good to go for a few more years without replacing it.

The question I have is - what material would have been used on an "a & e Slide Topper - made by Dometic". I suspect it is vinyl, but need to know in order to use the correct cement.

The existing "loop" is not sewn, but appears to be cemented or possibly heat welded - the fabric was simply folded back on itself to form the "loop" into which the plastic rod is inserted.

Glenn

Glenn NK

Re: Repairing Slide Topper

Thanks Len, I may try this before trying the repair I was thinking of. If the tape doesn't work, I'm not out much time or money.

Glenn

Glenn NK

Re: Repairing Slide Topper

Well, I fixed it (temporarily at least): Bought some "Gorilla Tape" (black and looks a bit like duct tape except for colour). Applied some strips across the torn areas to pull the edges back together, then ran three full length strips along the tear line, overlapping them by about one inch (the tape comes in 48 mm width - just under two inches).
Total cost $12 plus tax. They claim it's for exterior use - will see.

Glenn