Roof Air is Disposable Unit?? Please help?

RocketRV

Hello everyone, well after having our 1992 Class A 31' Pinnacle in storage for 6 years, kids off to College, its time to bring her home and shine-n-wine. I noticed that when we first bought this Coach the Roof Air didn't blow cold air and the "Salesman Said" no worries, just have it recharged. Well, while it was in the shop last week, I asked to have looked at and recharged but I was told it it is a Sealed Unit and my only option at this point to have it replaced. I was told the replacement unit was $1100. So...... I thought I'd check the place where I get the best answers and solutions.....a Forum.

Can anyone tell me if my unit can be service or recharged or is it really a disposable unit.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ....Ron

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Roof Air is Disposable Unit?? Please help?

Welcome to this forum. Your AC is a sealed unit and cannot be recharged unless you have an AC man install valves. Usually the cost involved does not justify the repair. You still have a leak somewhere that needs fixing also.

$1,100 is VERY expensive for the average AC unit. I dont know what kind of AC you have but most run in the $600 -$750 range. Add some labor and factor in shipping, but should not get that high.

G

I agree with GTS ,, u can have the unit recharged ,, it will require,, what they call saddle ports ,, or clamps ,, but as GTS said ,, the labor will out way the cost of a unit ,, and also ,, the cost u got for the unit ,, is IMO ,,, a little high ,,
better get another opinion ,,, but that IMO ... btw ,,, welcome to the forums
:)

hamdave

Here in SW ohio, we have a place that sells new units for about half price. They are seconds that sustained some small damage during mfr and cannot be sold as new. You might want to look for a place that does that and install yourself, not a very complicated job JMHO

good luck
;)