rubber roofs

awshots

We are currently looking at different motorhomes and I have a question. I have been told by several people to stay away from any motorhome that has a rubber roof. Being an Aggie from Texas A&M, I have several questions. What is a rubber roof? How do I know if the model we are looking at has one? Why are they so bad? What are some of your experiences good and bad with them?

I just figured that by posting this question on the few blogs I read I moght get some useful answers. Thank you in advance.

Ron & Carla
Fulltime July 2010

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: rubber roofs

Since I sell trailers, I am taking a guess....but I doubt there are many MH's without rubber roofs. It is the industry standard for trailers. Don't really know why someone would say that.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

akjimny

My 2007 Forest River Sunseeker MH has a rubber roof. I know 'cause I managed to poke a hole in it with a tree branch. Rubber or fiberglass either one, both require maintenance. UV in sunlight will damage both. Also, rubber will collect pollen and air polution more so than fiberglass. The solution is at least a once a year thorough cleaning with the appropriate cleaner and an application of a UV protectorant.
IMO rubber is easier to repair by the owner than fiberglass. Having repaired my fiberglass golf cart after my son wrecked it, it was much easier to repair the hole in the MH roof.
Hope this helps a bit. Some of the other folks in the forum will probably have more info for you.

LEN

Have to disagree with Ken on this one at least for the larger Class A's, I don't know of any that have Rubber roofs. Tiffin, Monaco, Country Coach, Holiday Rambler, just to name a few, most have Fiberglass roofs and are easily maintained.

LEN

frederick

Hi
My rubber roof on my 2000 Flair (that I just purchased) is still in exc. shape. I also didn't
have much choice, money wise. I couldn't afford a Country Coach, not even a used one.
Their roofs should be good for the money they ask for them.
Fred from Pasco, Wa. :)

try2findus

Welcome Southern neighbors!

We also have a rubber roof on our Jayco Greyhawk which serves us well. I always thought they put rubber is because it is light weight.

Back in 2007 we had a huge limb fall from a giant oak tree, straight down into our roof on our old Four Winds, but I think it would have penetrated a fiberglass roof as well. Funtime RV replaced the roof and we were back on the road again! :laugh:

hamdave

RE: rubber roofs

Actually for some of us an EPDM rubber roof is much easier to maintain than a fibre-glass roof. If you damage a fibre-glass roof it can cost you hundreds to thousands depending on the damage. I wouldn't ever take a rubber roof to a dealer or RV service center. Its easier to do it myself. JMHO

cheers

DL Rupper

Our rubber roof survived a hail storm on our fifth wheel that slightly cracked the fiberclass caps on each end. The hail storm did $7000 worth of damage to our truck. :eek: